Can anyone identify this potato type?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fritz katzenjammer

Der Ubergrosserbudgie
Not likely to be grown in the UK, unfortunately...

I figured as much. I’ve never heard of any of the types noted in this thread. Given some of the tasty varieties available over here it makes one wonder what tastes we’ve been missing.

Perhaps we should consider starting a ‘tater black market. What’ll you trade me for a few keys of these Yukon Golds…

classic33

Leg End Member
I figured as much. I’ve never heard of any of the types noted in this thread. Given some of the tasty varieties available over here it makes one wonder what tastes we’ve been missing.

Perhaps we should consider starting a ‘tater black market. What’ll you trade me for a few keys of these Yukon Golds…
They can be got over here, but the price is a little high.

midlife

Guru
Out of interest, how much is a sack of potatoes ?
I pay £5 for 10kilos, it should be more but he's struggled with the wet this year and it's given his crop a bit of brown marbling inside, easy cuts out so it doesn't bother me.

It also makes me chuckle when people say...it's just a potato. No it's not, supermarket potatoes are just potatoes, but venture beyond that and there are much nicer textures and tastes to be found

£8.75 for 10 kilo at Tesco. don't go through a lot though....

Reactions: gbb

Chris S

Legendary Member
Aldi do two types of potato, red or white :smile:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Silly question…what is difference between red and white potatoes and why the price difference?

Someone once explained white was cheap and more suited to snack foods like crisps and chips where you dump them in oil.
The red were said to be more suited to salads and cooking. Is this a load of tosh?

Alex321

Veteran
Silly question…what is difference between red and white potatoes and why the price difference?

Someone once explained white was cheap and more suited to snack foods like crisps and chips where you dump them in oil.
The red were said to be more suited to salads and cooking. Is this a load of tosh?

The concept generally that different potatoes are better for different things, not tosh, although the generalisation of "reds" or "whites" is.

Some whites are better for chips/ crisps etc, some are better for boiling, mashing etc. The same is true of reds, although there tend to be fewer different varieties of red available from the supermarkets.

Chris S

Legendary Member

Some potatoes are waxy, others are floury. If you're not careful then the floury potatoes can turn to mush when you boil them. I think their colour is coincidental.

Last edited:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
My dad was a keen gardener and had a large area for veggies. He tried various types of potatoes and I was always amazed at how different they all tasted. Damned if I can remember the ones I preferred now. I remember he did grow Mozart and I think Yukon Gold too.

Top Bottom