Can anyone identify this potato type?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
I bought a couple of sacks of spuds from a famer in field at Donna Nook in Lincolnshire in December.

The sack is completely unbranded with the farmer complaining that the printed sacks cost more than the spuds.
Anyway, they're fantastic all-rounders - but I have no idea what they are.
I am constantly amazed by the abilities of people one this group to "know stuff".

So can anyone identify my spuds?

Id rather like to buy some more.

They're red skins, slightly rough to the touch, with yellowy flesh. They're oval tubers, mostly large, some very large.

1706398725597.png

Slick

Guru
Desiree?

Slick

Guru

Thought that was an old sports channel. :okay:

gbb

Legendary Member
Talking to my local potato supplier/grower, many of the more 'exotic varieties are being lost to mass production , all in the name of yield.
We love Victoria, a white with tpyellow flesh, nice and buttery flavour, but he doesn't grow them anymore, better yields from Picasso etc.
Sorry, rambling, can't answer the original question but the premise stands, it's probably a more mainstream red rather than something exotic

gbb

Legendary Member
Out of interest, how much is a sack of potatoes ?
I pay £5 for 10kilos, it should be more but he's struggled with the wet this year and it's given his crop a bit of brown marbling inside, easy cuts out so it doesn't bother me.

It also makes me chuckle when people say...it's just a potato. No it's not, supermarket potatoes are just potatoes, but venture beyond that and there are much nicer textures and tastes to be found

classic33

Leg End Member
There's the Cypriot Red.
Following on from the last two posts. It can be grown over here, but things such as disease resistance and yield has limited widespread planting/growing.

Top Bottom