Can anyone learn to draw well?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Tom B sounds a little like me. That house could have been my drawing, only it's slightly better.

Coordination? Football none, rugby kept dropping the ball. Catch with my son, I clap my hands where I think the ball will be when it reaches me but I miss it and in the process one hand even misses the other! Seriously, I can clap my hands but catching a ball like a tennis ball I fail to catch plus my hands don't meet. What's going on there?

With this low level of coordination you really think I could learn to draw? Lol!

BTW still waiting for a referral for ADHD, perhaps I've got more going on than that. IQ 140 in tests but I know it's higher as I don't do those tests as quick as I can and obsess over checking my answers as I go. So my supposed intelligence has probably meant I mask whatever neurodivergance I have. Did get to see a preschool psych but being in the 70s I got the diagnosis that I was very intelligent but very lazy. I'd either do very well or very badly at school / life. I did better than OK at school, two degrees as well but very badly at career.

Anyway, that's off topic. I don't think I can be taught to be OK at art.

PS I did get taught the basic shapes theory to drawing but that didn't help. My basic shapes didn't look like basic shapes and I couldn't see them in what I tried to draw anyway.

AndyRM

XOXO
You should have that framed

Totally agree. That's a thing of beauty.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Seriously, I can clap my hands but catching a ball like a tennis ball I fail to catch plus my hands don't meet. What's going on there?

With this low level of coordination you really think I could learn to draw? Lol!
I hate to break this to you, but you are meant to HOLD the pen/pencil/brush...Not catch it! 😆

Anyway, that's off topic. I don't think I can be taught to be OK at art.
So you tell us you are very intelligent... But then defeat yourself before starting?
PS I did get taught the basic shapes theory to drawing but that didn't help. My basic shapes didn't look like basic shapes and I couldn't see them in what I tried to draw anyway.
Ah ok, but surely practice makes perfect?

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
I would if I could but it looked like an arc. Actually a squiggle, an arc is too coordinated.

Seriously, my school took art seriously despite being a grammar. They saw it as creating well rounded adults by teaching even the scientists art. Obviously come GCSEs it got dropped by many but until then they spent a fair bit of time teaching art in many forms. None of which I got. Much later at A levels they got serious about teaching art appreciation and other art techniques such as photography. I got one of my shots published in the school magazine, albeit anonymously because there was only enough time to develop a few images from one kid's roll of Ilford film. The rest went in s bucket and the teacher developed the film and checked them for potential, but by then there was no traceability back to the photographer. I knew it was mine because I was the only one willing to get down into the corner of a grand building where the dogs wee'd to actually get the shot.

My point is I have a modicum of visual creativity but I have no physical way of physically drawing it. The idea if practise makes perfect hasn't made us all TdF winners or even national track champions. Some of us can't even keep up with a mid standard chain gang I bet. Practise works to your natural ability. If that is low that is as far as you get. No defeat there just acceptance. I think it was wishful thinking to expect someone to come up with some trick that opens art up for everyone.

Top Bottom