Can anyone learn to draw well?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I hold a hypothesis that I can't be taught to draw well. I do however wish I could do simple line drawings of architecture and natural world. However experience tells me that I'm no better at drawing than at primary school, year 1 as well!

Example, i have a lot of respect for Lowry, even my stick men don't look like stick men! I am that bad, worse even!

So, to the artists among us, how do you learn to draw?

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I did a Draw for the Terrified workshop with Jenny Purrett a few years ago. I was amazed at what I could do. Because other things got in the way I stopped practising but I'm hoping to get back to it soon. Perhaps I'll do a recap of the workshop with Jenny.

I think one of the things that she said was that the attitude we have as children is best - not judging ourselves - so your primary school experience is probably perfect!

icowden

Veteran
Observation. Learning to both look and see. A simple exercise: draw the shapes around an object. Or draw just the shadows on an object.

That's all very well, but what of fine motor skills? I find it very difficult to do intricate, precision based work. Hence I don't draw and what I do try to daw generally looks terrible. I prefer musical instruments for my art. My fingers are better suited to it :-)

Fastpedaller

I haven't tried to paint since I was 7 years old (I've painted doors and cars, but they don't count)....... I'm of course meaning art painting, specifically landscape. I was no good at it when I was 7. Last week I thought I'd have a go at the inside of my caravan, and after watching some tutorials on youtube I was quite pleasantly surprised with my attempt. Painting whilst 'dreaming up' what to paint possibly didn't help, and with hind sight, if I'd have tried reproducing a photo of a landscape I may have done better. All the same, as the man on YT said 'have a go'...... I'd recommend Frank Clarke as a good guide to acrylic painting, and I guess there are similar guides to drawing, and indeed techniques which are common to both.
My mantra is always "80% of success is attempt"

Cycleops

Legendary Member
An artist? Well I got my O level and I've always enjoyed it.
I think most anyone can draw but it needs practice and a good teacher. If you don't have a teacher and don't want to join the art class YouTube can be useful.
A lot of people can't draw a straight line but you can overcome this with practice too.
Buy some pencils up to a 5B and a rubber and a sketch book. If you don't fancy pencil try charcoal, can be a bit more forgiving.
Remember Churchill was at a loss when he started out.
Good luck.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
That's all very well, but what of fine motor skills? I find it very difficult to do intricate, precision based work. Hence I don't draw and what I do try to daw generally looks terrible. I prefer musical instruments for my art. My fingers are better suited to it :-)

Artists will sometimes draw with the non-dominant hand in order to have less fine control and be freer.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I can recommend Betty Edwards' book. It got me started, after being convinced all my life that I was a hopeless case.

That's the one that Jenny recommended. I've got it somewhere. I'll have to dig it out and have another go.

Gwylan

Veteran
I was reasonable at art at school but when at university we had to draw a lot of plants for botany which I did for two years.
Initially the drawings were not very good but with practice I got quite proud of them.
My conclusion then is that you can become at least competent if you practice.

At grammar school I was allowed to not go to art. After year 2.
My wife and children are competent artists so I'm reluctant to reveal how bad I am.
On the other hand I loved and excelled a tech drawing. Had to do that as a module in my degree.

icowden

Veteran
To a degree, I think my issue with drawing and art is the same as my issue with football; essentially it was made clear to me that I couldn't do it.
Rather than taking the time to encourage and develop pupils at my time of schooling you could either do it or you couldn't. You were one of the arty kids or you weren't. Similarly as a social awkward ginger kid who had no clue about football, I was not invited to join in - just ritually embarrassed every time I tried to kick a ball back to someone as it would invariably go the wrong way.

Happily for the younger generation - or at last my kids - there is a lot more time spent ensuring that everyone can do things regardless of whether they are particularly good at them. My kids aren't sporty but they are still happy participating in sport, whereas I was sloping off to the library at every opportunity.

Same with Art. Rather than trying to draw things or make things in CDT, I'd be off to the music block and playing a piano or singing. It's a difficult barrier to get past once you have been told you can't do something or aren't good at something.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
To a degree, I think my issue with drawing and art is the same as my issue with football; essentially it was made clear to me that I couldn't do it.
Rather than taking the time to encourage and develop pupils at my time of schooling you could either do it or you couldn't. You were one of the arty kids or you weren't. Similarly as a social awkward ginger kid who had no clue about football, I was not invited to join in - just ritually embarrassed every time I tried to kick a ball back to someone as it would invariably go the wrong way.

Happily for the younger generation - or at last my kids - there is a lot more time spent ensuring that everyone can do things regardless of whether they are particularly good at them. My kids aren't sporty but they are still happy participating in sport, whereas I was sloping off to the library at every opportunity.

Same with Art. Rather than trying to draw things or make things in CDT, I'd be off to the music block and playing a piano or singing. It's a difficult barrier to get past once you have been told you can't do something or aren't good at something.

I can identify with that as I was told in primary two not to actually sing but just mime. This meant I never really found out if I could sing reasonably or not. I still mime rather than make any sound if at all possible. Easy to do at things like funeral services and I once found myself next to a mod medalist who simply flooded the church with sound.

Top Bottom