Can anyone make sense of this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hmmmm

I'm confused as to where the left turn arrow actually is?

TECHNICALLY......would it be legal to continue through a red light if the junction was clear since it looks possible (just) to cross the "give way" lines of the cycle lane in front of the solid stop line of the traffic light?

OP
OP
Armegatron

Armegatron

Sheffield_Tiger said:
Hmmmm

I'm confused as to where the left turn arrow actually is?

TECHNICALLY......would it be legal to continue through a red light if the junction was clear since it looks possible (just) to cross the "give way" lines of the cycle lane in front of the solid stop line of the traffic light?

The left turn arrow is on the left hand traffic light. The traffic light on the right is green (straight) and right arrow. The whole lot all go on at the same time though and they have used the arrows to indicate that nothing (should) be coming towards them as they are the only traffic with a green. I think that makes sense, although reading it back Im not sure ;)

rusky

CC Addict
Contact the council & ask them to clarify.

TBH, it looks like another piece of bad planning.

quidditys_shore

ahhhhh marton crossroads ;)

i think it'd be easier to wait for the lights to go red then move into the cycle part (& for that sign to be removed!)

why do you need to go right? off for a picnic at stewarts park?! :smile:

OP
OP
Armegatron

Armegatron

quidditys_shore said:
ahhhhh marton crossroads ;)

i think it'd be easier to wait for the lights to go red then move into the cycle part (& for that sign to be removed!)

why do you need to go right? off for a picnic at stewarts park?! :thumbsup:

Im normally nipping along at a fair speed down to hill towards the lights so I never bother with the cycle lane & just move with the traffic, it was just last time sat in the ASL I noticed it didnt have any filter for a bike to enter it and then notced the sign. Looked at the councils website and it looks like they are going to do some work all the way up Marton road.

Bit to windy for a pinic though :smile:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It looks like the cycle lane is an add-on that doesn't fit, designed by someone who doesn't cycle. Bit like a motorway junction designed by a cyclist who doesn't drive?

BentMikey said:
It looks like the cycle lane is an add-on that doesn't fit, designed by someone who doesn't cycle. Bit like a motorway junction designed by a cyclist who doesn't drive?

Bit like Blackfriars Bridge you mean.

OP
OP
Armegatron

Armegatron

Reply from Middlesbrough Council:

I received an email from our contact centre this morning from yourself with regard to the ASL at Marton/Ladgate lane cross Roads. I have had a look on google maps Street view, and from my own knowledge can confirm that the sign that you refer to is not related to the ASL.

The sign here relates to the left-hand turn lane for vehicles on Stokesley Road. If there are pedestrians using the pelican crossing on Ladgate Lane (crossing from near the petrol station towards Marton Manor), a sensor stops the traffic flowing left until the road is clear for vehicles to use. Hence the 'wait here for left turn arrow' sign.

The off carriage cycle path along Stokesley Road ends with a give way sign into the ASL at the traffic lights. Cyclists must only enter the ASL if it is clear to do so, hence the give way markings. The ASL is in place to allow cyclists to get in front of the waiting traffic at the lights, not when the traffic is flowing. The ASL helps to perform manoeuvres such as the right turn onto Ladgate lane as you suggest. If the traffic is not flowing, cyclists can get into the ASL and position themselves in anticipation of the lights changing and the manoeuvre to be completed when the traffic lights allow so.

I hope that this has helped to clear up any confusion, however if you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to contact myself via email or the address/phone number below.

Regards

Chris

Top Bottom