Can anyone recommend a decent kickstand?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I seem to go through these at quite a rate of knots! My latest snapped yesterday and so did the spare I keep when I attached it.

I carry quite a bit of stuff on the bike - yesterday some compost to the allotment and 'snap' when I propped the bike up.

Here's a pic of where they keep snapping...

IMG_3734.JPG

And the type I normally use. this is 2nd spare!

IMG_3735.JPG

If I tighten up the bolts-too much the stand snaps as happened in the top pic, if I tighten less, the stand just slides around the stay and the bike falls over. I've tightened the one above up as much as I can and it keeps slipping.

So I need a stand that is strong enough to be attached tightly enough to the frame without snapping or slipping, but I'm beginning to think thy may not exist! Any ideas welcome.

I know kickstands are not everyone's thing, but they work for me and I'd like one I can rely on.

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I would be more worried about crimping the chainstays from over tightening.

Have a look at the offerings from pletscher for a bottom bracket kickstand. The doubles are great.

OP
OP
Glow worm

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I would be more worried about crimping the chainstays from over tightening.

Have a look at the offerings from pletscher for a bottom bracket kickstand. The doubles are great.

Thanks. I was worried about the chainstay crimping as well, but check regularly and no sign. Sounds like a BB one might be the way to go tho.

will check out pletscher.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I should have said that a double ks has been a revelation to me. Panniers and bikes fall over with single ks and because of the weight will damage the bike much more.

The other really great stand I have for my tourer is a Click Stand. About the same cost as a normal stand but much more stable as your bike is triangulated. Plus the stand doubles as a support for my tarp/bivi set up.

http://www.click-stand.com/

OP
OP
Glow worm

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I should have said that a double ks has been a revelation to me. Panniers and bikes fall over with single ks and because of the weight will damage the bike much more.

The click-stand looks interesting.

Do you find your shoes ever brush the stand with each pedal revolution as you ride with the double ks? Looking a photo of the Pletscher centre (bb) one, it seems to poke out a fair old way when folded- could be just the angle of the pic I guess.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
The click-stand looks interesting.

Do you find your shoes ever brush the stand with each pedal revolution as you ride with the double ks? Looking a photo of the Pletscher centre (bb) one, it seems to poke out a fair old way when folded- could be just the angle of the pic I guess.

No never. I had a slight problem with one clipping the pedals of my daughter's bike, but I hadn't put it on straight. User error.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I'd recommend the Pletscher double as I love mine.
A word of warning though...
The bottom plate which supports the weight of the bike has 3 raised ridges.

20190307_224937.jpg

When you tighten the bolt, these ridges over time will dig into the chainstays. The bolt might need retightening when that happens. Mine did.

20190307_214705.jpg

It makes a mess of the chainstays, however the ridges are there to prevent the stand moving about and so less torque is needed to securely fasten the kickstand to the bike. That way, ham fisted types are less likely to crush the chainstays.
The stand folds up out of the way and keeps the bike upright pretty well. Mine hasn't fallen over...yet. Over a year of use.

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I use the same style stand as the one you keep breaking. Like you if it was too loose then it would rotate. I solved this by wrapping a strip of old inner tube around the chainstay to bulk it up and get it to be the right shape for the stand. It has the additional benefit of protecting the chainstay.

OP
OP
Glow worm

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I'd recommend the Pletscher double as I love mine.
A word of warning though...
The bottom plate which supports the weight of the bike has 3 raised ridges.

View attachment 469675

When you tighten the bolt, these ridges over time will dig into the chainstays. The bolt might need retightening when that happens. Mine did.

View attachment 469676

It makes a mess of the chainstays, however the ridges are there to prevent the stand moving about and so less torque is needed to securely fasten the kickstand to the bike. That way, ham fisted types are less likely to crush the chainstays.
The stand folds up out of the way and keeps the bike upright pretty well. Mine hasn't fallen over...yet. Over a year of use.

Good advice - thanks!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I had a Hebie stand which had a curved bracket which rested against the seat stay.

That meant the clamp on the chain stay didn't need to be very tight because the stand could not twist.

A kickstand is a popular component on trekking bikes, so have a look at the German retailers such as BikeDiscount or Rose.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

View attachment 469676
That bike has no kickstand plate?

I have a double kickstand on my most-used bike. I still don't put the bike on the stand while it's carrying bags if I can help it, same as I don't put bikes on prop stands while loaded. I might maybe just perhaps consider putting a bike on a click-stand (or hiking pole under the saddle doing the same job) while it's loaded, but still better not to. If you're going to do that, probably an axle-mounted stand is the safest bet: https://www.laxzo.com/spring-loaded...tand-double-legs-bike-stand-retro-16422-p.asp (when in stock)

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
That bike has no kickstand plate?

Nope.
She's very rarely loaded although I'm hoping to change that in due course.
The stand is rated to hold up to 25kg but as long as I'm careful with loading the panniers I don't think il get too close to that.
It's quite a chunky plate so I'd imagine the chances of too much weight on the stand damaging the stays is pretty slim.

Top Bottom