Can cable disc calipers be serviced?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
The inner pad adjuster on my Tektro brake caliper is getting difficult to move with a hex key, and I don't want to end up forcing and breaking it - can these brakes be dismantled and cleaned/serviced? I'm assuming it's winter gunk that is stopping it from moving freely.

Last edited:

iluvmybike

Über Member
They usually unscrew so you can remove it clean it and put a bit of grease on the threads

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
How do they unscrew? just take the pad off and then turn them further anticlockwise? I'm sure with the pad in they lock at a certain point.

iluvmybike

Über Member
How do they unscrew? just take the pad off and then turn them further anticlockwise? I'm sure with the pad in they lock at a certain point.

I'd take the pad off then just unscrew. All the ones I have come a cross undo like that

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Upgrade to TRP spyre is well worth it in my opinion for £50.

I've actually ordered one for the front, had one on a previous bike and liked how well it adjusted, easier to keep it in top performance. Need to sort out the other brake though, don't really need to upgrade the rear as it does the job well enough to induce a skid should I get a bit overzealous with the squeezing.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Okay so some GT85 and possibly a hair dryer helped loosen it up and I could indeed unscrew it. Cleaned it up and put a little grease before refitting and if anything it's too smooth now, not sure it'll hold in place once I've set it! I'm sure it'll grip again once it's out in all weathers.

Top Bottom