Can Changing Wheels or Tyres make me quicker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pauluk

What size tyres do you have on currently and do you know what your rim size is on your existing wheels

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Tyres would be the best bet and cheapest. Wheels won't make a huge difference on a hybrid, and gains are marginal on road bikes. Tyres are the best option, but you may have to compromise your riding/puncture protection. I.e. switching to lightweight slick tyres will almost rule out riding on trails/unsurfaced paths.

What size tyres do you have on currently and do you know what your rim size is on your existing wheels

I changed the chainset on my hybrid from 42/32/28 to 52/42/32. This tended to lean the bike towards a road bike and less of an MTB. I also incread the chain length. Top speed was drastically improved. Just a thought and hope it helps.

John_c

Depends on what you have on it now? Generally slicks plus good Ali rims will make you faster, how much is another matter.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I changed the chainset on my hybrid from 42/32/28 to 52/42/32. This tended to lean the bike towards a road bike and less of an MTB. I also incread the chain length. Top speed was drastically improved. Just a thought and hope it helps.
Its an option to look at once the tyres have been changed + track pump bought to get the pressure right.If the tyres are holding the OP back then bigger chainrings will not speed them up much.
Just a question..
What rear cassette do you run ? it might have been cheaper to change the rear cassette to a block with a smaller toothed small gear.

[Just a question..
What rear cassette do you run ? it might have been cheaper to change the rear cassette to a block with a smaller toothed small gear.[/quote]

Yes you're right, but had a spare chain set doing nothing so it worked out cheaper to do that. Bike is so much faster now, but takes a bit more effort.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
[Just a question..
What rear cassette do you run ? it might have been cheaper to change the rear cassette to a block with a smaller toothed small gear.

Yes you're right, but had a spare chain set doing nothing so it worked out cheaper to do that. Bike is so much faster now, but takes a bit more effort.[/quote]

Fair enough :smile:
cadence is also important, i can get 20 mph out of 50 x 17 .

I have a hybrid if I change my wheels or put a thiner set of tyres on would it help me go quicker?

fractionally, perhaps, depending on what wheel/tyre combo you use currently. Improving your fitness will have a much more significant impact on your speed, however...

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I have 700c wheels tyre are 35c
I think people want to know the width of your rims so they know how thin you can go on tyres, somewhere on the rim it might say something like 622-XX with the XX being the width of the metal rim i believe :smile:

It would also depend what surfaces you normally ride on, going much thinner would probably drastically limit your riding off roads (ie. trails, towpaths) if that matters.

OP
OP
P

Pazz1974

Regular
Its an option to look at once the tyres have been changed + track pump bought to get the pressure right.If the tyres are holding the OP back then bigger chainrings will not speed them up much.
Just a question..

Not to sure on what chain set it is or rear casette, the bike did not cost to much it's a claud butler explorer 100.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Tyres would be the best bet and cheapest. Wheels won't make a huge difference on a hybrid, and gains are marginal on road bikes. Tyres are the best option, but you may have to compromise your riding/puncture protection. I.e. switching to lightweight slick tyres will almost rule out riding on trails/unsurfaced paths.
Sorry fossyant, I disagree
Lighter and more aero wheels with good tyres will make a difference to a reasonable level hybrid. But you need to go to 23c or 25c tyres to get the weight and aero benefits. Hybrid wheels especially those for 35c tyres are built for durability. Even a humble pair of Aksiums and Michelin Pro-Race/Conti GP's with lightweight tubes will make the bike faster and feel more responsive.

OP
OP
P

Pazz1974

Regular
I think people want to know the width of your rims so they know how thin you can go on tyres, somewhere on the rim it might say something like 622-XX with the XX being the width of the metal rim i believe :smile:

It would also depend what surfaces you normally ride on, going much thinner would probably drastically limit your riding off roads (ie. trails, towpaths) if that matters.

Roads I just use it to get to work and back. I'll have a look tomorrow for the wheel size

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
One of these? http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Claud-Butler-Explorer-100-2012-Hybrid-Sports-Bike_52026.htm

The suspension fork might be sapping a bit of your energy assuming it doesnt have a lockout. :smile:

Sorry fossyant, I disagree
Lighter and more aero wheels with good tyres will make a difference to a reasonable level hybrid. But you need to go to 23c or 25c tyres to get the weight and aero benefits. Hybrid wheels especially those for 35c tyres are built for durability. Even a humble pair of Aksiums and Michelin Pro-Race/Conti GP's with lightweight tubes will make the bike faster and feel more responsive.
How much of a real speed increase are we talking?

Id guess it would also depend how fast his average speed is already to how much of a benefit youd see from upgrades :smile:

Top Bottom