Can commuting help you lose weight?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
User1314 said:
I don't cycle-commute every weekday to lose weight. I cycle so that I can consume two vindaloos, two bottles of red and copious pints of beer at the weekend without worrying about putting on a beer belly.

Amen to that.

Although, I lost a stone in a month when I started - 8 miles each way into Manchester Centre. I'm now around 11st 10lb, having been 13st 11lb in September - I can fit in 32" waist trews again too :biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
last six months, 26+ miles a day I'm down from 17st4lb to a new low of 14st13lb8oz and still going

evening classes as well has rather disrupted my eating, I eat late most nights, whatever the lady wife has left me from her diet cooking, lots of salmon on a bed of spinach and leek of late

suspect I'll be seeing the previously ludicrous ideal weights of 13st something in the near future

Maz

Guru
As a result of cycling, my waist size is still the same as when I left school.

Mind you, I was a fat bastard when I left school.

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
Someone said earlier that you can get disproportionately hungry to the amount of commute you do.

I wonder if this is actually thirst and not hunger as can often happen?! I find that if I feel really hungry sometimes I have a lot of water and then don't feel so hungry any more.

Just a suggestion!

I did jogging for about 3 weeks though once and the difference was amazing in such a short time. I really must start doing it again - definately a good all round thing - I heard that skipping is the best though (with a rope as opposed to just skipping down the street looking like a nonce!) - don't know if it is true or not!

U

User482

I find that my weight doesn't change much, but I get noticeably flabbier around the belly when I'm not commuting by bike. The other benefit is that if you head out for a proper ride having not done one for a while, the commuting means that you won't be wheezing like a nancy boy with a note from matron.

OP
OP
I

iwf

SO maintaining a decent cadence using gears is better for you than trying to ride as fast as possible?

I like snorri's suggestion about Cycling helping, but only as part of a diet.

Doesn't the 4 miles of hill I climb every morning count for anything? The thought that I was only working off a kit kat is rather depressing. I too like my friday night curry and I won't be giving up that just yet.

Respect to all those who travel above 20 miles each day. At my rate of travel I'd only just be getting to work before it was time to come home!

iwf said:
SO maintaining a decent cadence using gears is better for you than trying to ride as fast as possible?

I like snorri's suggestion about Cycling helping, but only as part of a diet.

Doesn't the 4 miles of hill I climb every morning count for anything? The thought that I was only working off a kit kat is rather depressing. I too like my friday night curry and I won't be giving up that just yet.

Respect to all those who travel above 20 miles each day. At my rate of travel I'd only just be getting to work before it was time to come home!

Did you use that calculator I linked to? So uphill 4 miles and it takes you what 30 minutes of actual cycling. Big hill or medium, say 5%. That's a Mars bar on the way in and a kit kat on the way back :biggrin:

And I didn't mean don't cycle fast, I meant use your gears to maintain a higher cadence but you can still go hell for leather.

So for five days of cycling you are using @3200 Kcals (I'm assuming you're average height and weight and are cycling at about 12-14mph), that's a pound a week weight loss if you stick to the same food intake: That's good. Now if you did a weekend ride of an hour or so, that could be worth another 1000Kcals - Best not to think of it like that though ;) just enjoy it and have fun.

OP
OP
I

iwf

Actually the best bit of all of it is that i am really having fun.

The quieter streets, even the hill are all part of the enjoyment of cycling. I don't see me joining a club or getting a race bike. just the regular commute is already making me feel good at work.

Crackle, I did see the calculator and very informative it is.

i'm slowly getting the hang of road positioning and negotiating with drivers, but I haven't had any bad experiences yet.

Best of all I got a new bike, tons of gear and the tax man paid for half of it.

Perhaps i'll look for a longer route home, and the wife's after a new toy too. All in all a very pleasant experience.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
the reluctant cyclist said:
Someone said earlier that you can get disproportionately hungry to the amount of commute you do.

I wonder if this is actually thirst and not hunger as can often happen?! I find that if I feel really hungry sometimes I have a lot of water and then don't feel so hungry any more.

Just a suggestion!QUOTE]

I have a theory which goes like this...
Cycling fast requires Glycogen (Carb stored in Muscle and Fat) rather than fat. Glycogen is the muscles preffered high output fuel. Cycling slower uses more fat in the fuel mix, but less total cals/hr are being burnt than cycling fast.
Here's the bit I'm interested in....I reckon that the body will try to re-establish its glycogen store as soon as possible, whereas fat store loss it is less concerned about. So to tell you it wants more carbs, the body gives you the "Munchies". If you've ever 'bonked' (run out of Glycogen) you'll know that you'll eat anything sweet in any quantity to satisfy the crave.
A longer slower more fat-burning cycle that burns the same total cals, will not produce the same "munchies" response.

Now, when you stuff all those mars bars and coke down your neck, you'll get a major insulin response to deal with the blood sugar....what cannot be immediately converted to Glycogen will be sent down the fat-synthesis route for long term storeage.

Just a theory!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
When you do bonk - if still out on a ride is it good to eat a sweet or two to get a burst of energy.

Yesterday I was late getting out and had to cycle 5 miles to pick up my youngest - with a hill in the way, preferably in under half an hour. Knew I was pushing my limits, so stopped and had a sweet on route - will it help at all in that sort of situation. (Didn't have enough time to look for my flapjack at the bottom of the bag)

I like your explanation FF - understandable.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
I thought that if you wanted to burn off fat, you had to go very slowly, so slowly that you would begin to question whether it was worthwhile. If you go fast, the body draws energy from other sources, chiefly muscles. To lose fat, lose speed.

Top Bottom