Can Cyclo Mineral Oil Brake Fluid be used ith Tektro Auriga brakes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TimWinters

Regular
I need to fit new hoses onto my bike, so I will need to replace the brake fluid. I have looked at several options and think that Tektro's mineral oil is quite expensive for something that is essentially just like baby oil (I'm aware of that debate)

I came across the Cyclo branded oil which is £9 for 125ml. That amount of oil would be more than enough to bleed my brakes. I would have just gone ahead and purchased it, but there's a lot of information out there which suggests that manufacturers of mineral oils such as Tektro and Shimano are all formulated differently to suit the brake their own brake systems. I'm a bit sceptical about this and wonder if it is true or whether I can save a bit of money and use the Cyclo oil?

So what do you think, use the Cyclo oil or spend the extra on the branded Tektro stuff?

sleuthey

Legendary Member
there's a lot of information out there which suggests that manufacturers of mineral oils such as Tektro and Shimano are all formulated differently to suit the brake their own brake systems. I'm a bit sceptical about this and wonder if it is true or whether I can save a bit of money and use the Cyclo oil?
I think you have answered your own question.
What is the difference in price and what is the rough total cost to do the whole job?

Drago

Legendary Member
Advice from an old pilot:

Never try and save money on anything upin which your life may depend, including tyres, brakes, bullets and condoms.

In reality there is likely little, if any, difference but why take the risk for the sake for a few quid? If it goes wrong it will cost you a lot more in replacing the brakes and dental work.

si_c

Guru
Epic bleed solutions sell mineral oil which is advertised as Tektro/Shimano compatible and I've used it on TRP and Shimano brakes no problem.

This makes sense as Tektro often make their consumables directly compatible - if in doubt use Shimano oil, it's not much more expensive.

Top Bottom