Can Evans (silently) use different components on new bikes from those stated online?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'm a bit of a spec nerd. I will pore over the component lists for cars or bikes when looking to buy and will choose the model carefully to get the exact component combination I want, down to the last skewer or gear ratio.

I find it very difficult to accept the get out clause of 'Specification may vary' and in the current supply chain issue environment would probably contact any seller to confirm exactly what I would be getting before placing an order.

Thankfully the last new bike I bought was back in 2018 before the real problems started.

The last van I bought back in 2003 was a Merc Sprinter and the dealer was gob smacked when I gave him a build spec for my van complete with option codes for things like the drivers armrest, the long range fuel tank and even the rear axle final drive ratio. He asked me where the hell I got these codes from as they weren't in the sales brochure? The only mistake when the chassis cab arrived (and I spotted it instantly) was that it had short mirror arms. He admitted that despite 15yrs selling Merc vans even he didn't know that spec'ing heated electric mirrors automatically defaulted the mirror arms to panel van length, so he had the arms swapped back to the full length versions in their workshop for free.

Honestly, I am a real nerd. When buying a car many years ago I chose a particular engine because going from the 1.3l to the 1.6l meant the rear brakes swapped from drums to discs. But that wasn't all. The alloy wheels were still the same, except instead of 4 stud they were now 5 stud..... Really, 'specification may vary' is not something I can live with :crazy:

Top Bottom