Can Evans (silently) use different components on new bikes from those stated online?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

choffan

Regular
Hi all, apologies for the long title.

Long story short, I had to replace my (semi-new) Pinnacle Lithium 3 after a car accident with another Lithium 3. By comparison, I notice that the new Pinnacle 3 mounts Clark Clout 1 as opposed to the Shimano MT-200 of the previous model. Also tires and pedals are different. There might be other things, but I had no time to run a close inspection. My question is: I am aware of the generic formula stated on Evan's website for which components may change without notice, however I am not expert enough to know how should I feel about these brakes....

vickster

Legendary Member
The components often change year on year. Is the new one the same model year as the previous?

OP
OP
C

choffan

Regular
The components often change year on year. Is the new one the same model year as the previous?

Hi, yes - literally there is only a 3 months gap between the two build. Notice that Evans online claims the use of Shimano MT rather than Clarks. I am wondering whether I should/can complain (given the smart statement they have on their website mentioned above)

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi, yes - literally there is only a 3 months gap between the two build. Notice that Evans online claims the use of Shimano MT rather than Clarks. I am wondering whether I should/can complain (given the smart statement they have on their website mentioned above)

You could ask if they can source you a different one?

My question is: I am aware of the generic formula stated on Evan's website for which components may change without notice, however I am not expert enough to know how should I feel about these brakes....

That's their get out clause, so yes they can. But you can equally refuse delivery of the bike and ask for a refund.

I'm not expert enough either I'm afraid, are there any reviews online of the Clarks?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The spec can change depending upon supply. I didn't do bad when I bought my Boardman MTB. The Avid brakes weren't available and I got the better SRAM Guide RS.

OP
OP
C

choffan

Regular
That's their get out clause, so yes they can. But you can equally refuse delivery of the bike and ask for a refund.

I'm not expert enough either I'm afraid, are there any reviews online of the Clarks?

To be honest, reviews are not bad at all for Clarks and on paper it looks like an upgrade. However, they feel very "soft" and braking is not as firm as I wish it to be. Not sure if this is a good signal or a bad signal (essentially, I tried only these 2 types of hydraulic brakes)

To be honest, reviews are not bad at all for Clarks and on paper it looks like an upgrade. However, they feel very "soft" and braking is not as firm as I wish it to be. Not sure if this is a good signal or a bad signal (essentially, I tried only these 2 types of hydraulic brakes)

Do you want the Shimano over the Clarks then? I think they would only allow an exchange if its been ridden. That said they may say they couldn't get any Shimano at all.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
My recent Vitus MTB from Chain Reaction Cycles was advertised with varying components depending on supply chain issues and product demand. All openly advertised at point of purchase online though.

Luckily i got the Deore crank, brakes, gear-set etc I hoped for. Like above - wouldn’t have mattered if it didn’t if I’m honest. Just nicer if having done your homework you do get what you paid for / hoped / desired…..

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
In this dimension, I am too ignorant to be able to build a ranking on quality, hence I don't know.

Don't take this wrong but i doubt you will notice the difference between the spec's

Can you not swap the bit's over from one bike to another if you still have the original Lithium 3 ?

Or ask to see if they will find one with the spec you want

Top Bottom