Upgrade components

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan Ferris

Über Member
Hi,

Long time lurker minimal poster but i come asking for some thoughts from those that know more than me..

Later this year i have a big birthday coming up and lucky enough to have some money to treat myself. I am toying with a new bike however when i look at new bikes i see very minimal upgrade to what i currently ride and anything that appears to be a step up a considerable amount of money.

The details..

Current bike:
https://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/giant-defy-advanced-pro-3-road-bike-2016

2016 Giant Defy advanced pro 3

Standard other than wheels have been swapped for some Hunt 4 season and upgraded tyres. Everything else is as-is the day it was delivered.

So far its been a great bike for what i use it for. Social rides, sportives, no real desire for any racing. The 105 has been bomb-proof.

There is one very minor hairline mark on the frame which i cannot tell if it is a crack or a scratch. It is coming from the allen key for the bottle cage appears to have been there for about 2 years or so and never moved.

I'm considering spending a little bit of money on maybe upgrading the saddle and seat post and handle bars for a carbon set up and that is where i'd like some advice on components or if people think its not really worth it - save the cash and upgrade the whole bike in a year or so?

Probably quite a vague post but its a bit of a minefield. Every search i do for a new bike (i'd maybe consider used but i'm not in a desperate rush for something new) i'm north of £4k for something that on paper appears an upgrade. In reality it would probably be no different.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I had a similar situation last year. I ride a 7 year old Cervelo C3 which suits me perfectly in every respect. I toyed with a respray and rebuild or buying a new bike. I don't need a new bike but was considering.

The cost of a similar or better bike would be several thousand and it's very hard to be sure the new bike will be an improvement. In the end I went for a rebuild, replacing anything which was worn and upgrading to Ultegra from 105. This cost me £700 and I think represents better value for money leaving me with a bike I love with all new components.

At the time I couldn't find a local business to do the respray. I've found one now and that will happen next winter.

avsd

Guru
I would get the crack/scratch looked at by a reputable bike shop. A crack may force a decision on the frame. Other than that the classic upgrades are new wheels. Electronic gear are nice if you are into tech but will not make an noticeable improvement in performance nor would an upgrade to Ultegra or 12 speed gearing. My best purchase for my bike recently was a Garmin 1030+. The navigation is great with the enhanced screen size.

13 rider

Guru
if you bought the bike new Its frame should have a lifetime warrentry , might be worth contacting the retailer to see if its a crack and they should liase with giant to replace it . You may get an upgrade as I presume they would replace it with a newer presumable lighther frame

november4

The only real difference between yours and current models is newer frames take 32cc tyres, and yours will do 28mm I think?

Its a D fuse seat post so don't think its upgradeable, if your looking for more comfort, larger tyres will allow lower pressures. Stock saddle can be bettered, but its really subjective, I bought a few on amazon for the easy returns to find one that worked for me.

Like paulsb above said, you can swap out cassette, chain when they wear with ultgera as they are all compatible, merlin cycles do frequent sales

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Bikes get scratches over time. If you spray them. Resprayed bikes get scratches over time.

When I am looking at upgrades I always look at wheels, tyres, seat and handlebar shock absorbers.

If you are happy with the bike. Dont waste your money changing it.

T4tomo

Guru
maybe upgrading the saddle and seat post and handle bars for a carbon set up
saddle - only change if its not comfortable. you neither upgrade nor downgrade a saddle ,you find one that suits your bum

seatpost - surely you already have a carbon seatpost that fits the proprietary Giant shapes seat tube, you don't have a lot of choices.

I'd be very wary of carbon bars for two reasons, the weight saving over alu isn't much, but the risk of sudden failure and a face plant is increased. The pro's are getting new kit each season but still getting bar failures on new kit
Also the fully hidden cable integrated bar / stem jobbies you can get as an "upgrade" are a funking nightmare when you need to replace a cable etc.

wheels - lets talk wheels your hunt 4 season are decent enough, but you can take them up a league e.g.
https://zedbikewheels.com/disc-brake/ best bang for your buck is always better wheels.

OP
OP
Dan Ferris

Dan Ferris

Über Member
Thanks everyone for your insights - very helpful. I’ve sent some photos over to my local Giant store of the crack for them to review. I’m unable to find the original purchase documentation (2 house moves and 2 children since the purchase so who knows where that’s gone). Unfortunately the store I bought the bike from do not keep records that go that far back so in a bit of a dilemma there - will continue the search for the paperwork as without that Giant will not entertain a warranty claim.

Once again, thanks all for your help.

Jameshow

Veteran
Thanks everyone for your insights - very helpful. I’ve sent some photos over to my local Giant store of the crack for them to review. I’m unable to find the original purchase documentation (2 house moves and 2 children since the purchase so who knows where that’s gone). Unfortunately the store I bought the bike from do not keep records that go that far back so in a bit of a dilemma there - will continue the search for the paperwork as without that Giant will not entertain a warranty claim.

Once again, thanks all for your help.

Let's see a pic!

I have scratches all over my Cannondale and have hammered it on lejog and c2c.

DRM

Guru
I'd reiterate what others have said, carbon bars aren't unheard of failing suddenly & catastrophically, the seat post being a D-Fuse is only available from Giant, & at £149 I'm struggling to see how much of an improvement that £149 gives you, perhaps a groupset upgrade? You'll probably be able to sell the 105 parts to recoup a bit back, I've got a 2015 Defy Composite 3, it's had better (slightly) wheels, and 105 brake calipers as the Giant Wheels & Tektro brakes it came with were downright dangerous, the rest of it works brilliantly.

OP
OP
Dan Ferris

Dan Ferris

Über Member
IMG_9215.jpeg

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Sadly that looks very cracky to me - from the colouration and way it's radiating straight out from the circumference of the bottle mount. Definitely would be getting that checked out before looking at upgrades..

Top Bottom