can i add another chainring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jim55

Guru
to make my double (105 ,,53-39) a triple id like the bail out if needed ,could i get longer ring bolts a new bb and front shifter?maybe a 28 29 or something or am i better off just going compact (sram)

OP
OP
jim55

jim55

Guru
just realised id have to change brifters as well its just sora shifters but i ride mostly on hoods so its ok ,i dont wana change them ,just fit a compact chainset?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
A compact would be easiest. You can't get lower than a 38T inner ring on a standard double, and that change is barely worth the bother. You can't fit an third ring either.
Have you got the biggest possible cassette on there?

OP
OP
jim55

jim55

Guru
yeah its a short reach dura ace mech(i dont think i can fit a bigger cassette) and when i got the bike it was set up for a much better rider than me ,it had 11-20 and i put a 12 -25 on it its a lot better but im just thinking ahead ,iv been in the 39 -25 before and the hill was not the steepest ,so i think id run outa gears if i tackled more

Hotblack Desiato

I've reverted to a double. After all, when triple's came in all you had at the back was a five or six speed set. Now you can have ten or eleven! (I still have a nine)

OP
OP
jim55

jim55

Guru
mine is 2 rings at the front and an 8spd block at the back ,iv fitted what i can (easier ratio cassette) but id have to change everything if i wanted a triple ,its the shifters that would cost the most eh,if i just fit a compact chainring its gen a straight swap (i hope),its a reg square taper bb with a reg 105 crankset so nothing fancy ,any reccs for a replacement peeps
and just for curiosity id sell whats there ,any idea what id get cost wise for selling my old set (half decent 53-39 105 and ok condition ?

andrew_s

Legendary Member
to make my double (105 ,,53-39) a triple id like the bail out if needed ,could i get longer ring bolts a new bb and front shifter?maybe a 28 29 or something or am i better off just going compact (sram)
There are triple adaptor chainrings - a middle chainring to which you can bolt an inner ring.
I'd recommend ordering by phone rather than web so you can get advice on required bolts & spacers.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'll bet that won't work on a Hollowtech chainset.
Plus, you're then into new STIs, rear mech, front mech...
Compact and a 12-27 cassette. You know it makes sense :biggrin:

OP
OP
jim55

jim55

Guru
I'll bet that won't work on a Hollowtech chainset.
Plus, you're then into new STIs, rear mech, front mech...
Compact and a 12-27 cassette. You know it makes sense :biggrin:
yep ,,my thoughts exactly

adamhearn

Veteran
I run 50-34 and 11-28 on mine. I'm rubbish in the hills so this is still hard work up getting up some of them but I suspect most people will consider the setup more than adequate to ride the peaks. My commuting bike is a triple but I do not use the granny (partly because if I ever got used to it I'd really feel it on the compact!).

Stick with 2 rings and go for a cassette with a wider range.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Unless...
If you want truly low ratios, I'm running a 50/34 compact with an 11-32 cassette.
The 105 rear mech barely copes, but it's usable.
Worth a try. If your rear mech won't wear it, then get one of the better 9 speed MTB rear mechs on, and you should be fine.
Don't use a 10 speed MTB rear mech, as the cable pull isn't compatable with STIs.

OP
OP
jim55

jim55

Guru
the 12-25 on the back is fine i think ,if i get a 50 -34 on the front ,instead of whats on it just now(53-39)im sure(hope) that will b enough

Top Bottom