Can i do it??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

Donna

Ive rode to work today, 9 miles and its nearly killed me ha ha, its very windy out there, Day 1, its a start.,

Scoosh - there is no public transport to work unfortunately, though I walked in the door and they immediately offered me a lift home!!! I will ride home too unless its bucketing down!

I might have tomorrow off, then try and ride on Friday again.

Thanks all for the encouragement and advice.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Donna said:
Ive rode to work today, 9 miles and its nearly killed me ha ha, its very windy out there, Day 1, its a start.,

Scoosh - there is no public transport to work unfortunately, though I walked in the door and they immediately offered me a lift home!!! I will ride home too unless its bucketing down!

I might have tomorrow off, then try and ride on Friday again.

Thanks all for the encouragement and advice.

Well, I have no doubts about you making the 50, with that attitude.:biggrin:

Actually, 9 miles each way is a good commute if you want to build up the miles - enough to get your teeth into. (although my maximum daily so far is 4 miles each way). You're building up base fitness, and it's giving you time to find and tweak all the little things that make you comfortable on a long ride. If you feel so inclined, you've got space to bung in some intervals and sprints, or just ride like I do, as the fancy takes you.

postman

Legendary Member
Yes you can .The thrill of the day will pull you along .

And don't forget .There will be many other cyclists just like you .

So get out there and enjoy .

OP
OP
D

Donna

Got my number 368 and i cant wait!

Rode to work twice last week, and went out yesterday and did 20 miles and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it, even though it was tough at times with the wind!! I will try and do an extra couple of miles next weekend!

Thanks for all the encouragement :smile:

Donna said:
Got my number 368 and i cant wait!

Rode to work twice last week, and went out yesterday and did 20 miles and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it, even though it was tough at times with the wind!! I will try and do an extra couple of miles next weekend!

Thanks for all the encouragement :laugh:

Well done Donna.:blush:

Before you know it, you will be riding to work all the time and even be disappointed if you dont.
The weather is changing for the better, so it will be easier and even more enjoyable.

Camgreen

Perversely, the wind is doing you good (although you won't think so at the time), helping to build that stamina and something to bear in mind if as a consequence a particular ride feels slow or difficult. It all helps. :smile:

Keep chipping away and getting the miles under your belt as and where you can. You've entered, you've got your target fixed ....... now just enjoy the training and start looking forward to the event;)

LizardEye

There's an article in this month's Cycling Active magazine entitled 'Nailing your first 50 miler'. Sounds like it was written for you.

Most of the supermarkets stock it.

Have you thought abuot the Northern Rock Cyclone in June. They have a 30 mile route which would be a good warm up for the GNBR. Even if you don't register for the day, the route is on the website - http://www.northernrockcyclone.co.uk/CycloneChallengeMaps.asp

Get out each weekend and do a few more miles each time. you'll be at fifty in no time. Then of course you'll have to set yourself a new target!

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Agree with the posters above. First comes a 20 miler, then 30 is doable, then easy, then a 50 is in range. I think you'll be fine. The hardest is the 0 - 20 increase. After that, its incrementally easier until you're at the 200+ mark.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
arallsopp said:
Agree with the posters above. First comes a 20 miler, then 30 is doable, then easy, then a 50 is in range. I think you'll be fine. The hardest is the 0 - 20 increase. After that, its incrementally easier until you're at the 200+ mark.
Donna, if you don't believe this guy - read his report of the LEL in the link. Alternatively, get the book and read it.

It's an amazing tale of someone phased by doing 20 miles, then, less then a year later, being bold/strong/daft :biggrin: enough to ride from London to Edinburgh and back again, all at one go. It's an inspiring read and beautifully written.

But there is one caveat : the next LEL is in 2013 ..... and there is already a Forum thread about it. :laugh:

It Could be YOU !! :smile:

:eek:

You've got the mojo to nail this one, so go on and enjoy it ... and don't forget to tell us all how you get on :biggrin:.

OP
OP
D

Donna

hi guys, right I bought the magazine (thanks LizardEye), and it told me to not worry about the miles, its about the time in the saddle.

Went out on Saturday, did 2 1/2 hours and 26 miles, yeeeehaaaa I can't tell you how great I felt!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: cant wait for next weekend until I can go out again (for few hours), Im so glad i registered for the GNBR, I cant wait!

PpPete

Legendary Member
Another thing to bear in mind is how much easier it is riding in a big group (or even right behind just one other person). The slipstream effect is massive. 50 miles in a big group is like 35 miles on your own so you are nearly there. Keep it up!

And when you've done GNBR we shall look forward to you popping up over in that LEL thread:smile: !

515mm

Well done!

+1 for group riding. Find the biggest bloke that's going at the same pace as you and ride right behind him! Make sure you ride to the outside of his back wheel and stay alert. It's customary to shout ''RIGHT'' or ''LEFT'' or ''MIDDLE'' to indicate where the potholes are to riders who are behind you.

When the guy in front tires a bit (he/she is taking most of the wind off you after all - you'll notice his pace dropping off a touch) overtake and ride in front of him and say ''I'll take my turn on the front now.''
Cue muchos respect and a return of the favour in due course. The miles will fly by, it's playtime!

Don't flog yourself to stay with a fast bunch though, there's no shame in being dropped, just wait for the next group to come along. Look for folks on the start line with similar looking bikes to you. Chances are, you'll be of a similar ability. If they're too slow for you - drop them! :evil:

PpPete

Legendary Member
515mm said:
It's customary to shout ''RIGHT'' or ''LEFT'' or ''MIDDLE'' to indicate where the potholes are to riders who are behind you.

Some just point down to left or right. Much easier on the ears given the huge numbers of holes at present.

Top Bottom