Can I do this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randstad

Regular
I'd like to get into Audax and I've seen a route that's peeked my interest. It's not as flat as a pancake but
it's not really hilly and it's 112km long door to door.

Can't say I've done any training but I have been doing quite a lot of walking recently and I find I can walk
35km and not die the next day. I'm classed in BMI (27.5) terms as overweight as 1.5 stone over the top of the
ideal range.

Is it absurd just to dive in an do the whole thing in one go? I don't mind a bit of pain and exhaustion but it
would be better not to collapse / end up in a ditch / DNF. I'll be taking food and water along with me to make
sure I'm sustained.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
That's about 68 miles. Have you cycled that kind of distance before at a reasonable pace?
If you have, and feel up to it then go for it. Audax riding is really good, and a very addictive thing to get into.
There will always be bale out points, ie local train stations, or your mobile phone to call for the broom wagon, ie. a family member to come and collect you.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Work out a plan, and follow it though. Even if it’s only ‘I’ll do hour rides this month, two hour next etc. Turning up on the days expecting to do a 100k + ride is a big ask, though.
Good luck!

presta

Guru
In terms of time and effort, 112km cycling is about equivalent to 35km walking, but your problem might be that you're using different muscle groups. Walking uses feet & calves more, cycling uses thighs more, so you might fall by the wayside with your thighs screaming.

ExBrit

Über Member
I'd like to get into Audax and I've seen a route that's peeked my interest. It's not as flat as a pancake but

Can't say I've done any training but I have been doing quite a lot of walking recently and I find I can walk
35km and not die the next day. I'm classed in BMI (27.5) terms as overweight as 1.5 stone over the top of the
ideal range.

Is it absurd just to dive in an do the whole thing in one go? I don't mind a bit of pain and exhaustion but it
would be better not to collapse / end up in a ditch / DNF. I'll be taking food and water along with me to make
sure I'm sustained.

I would recommend riding an unsupported 75km rolling ride first. If you can complete that and still want to do this ride then you should be able to complete this ride. I would not recommend going from zero straight to 112km - not if you want to enjoy it. Also - is your bike ready for this ride? Tires, tubes, drivetrain, brakes and all that good stuff.

Reactions: C R

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There is also the issue of the time limit. Events have a minimum speed which you must achieve between checkpoints. Have a look at what speed you would need to do for the event in question and think about whether you think that you could manage that.

markemark

Über Member
With your level of fitness should be able to do that but at a slower pace. If keeping up isn’t an issue I think you could do it, just don’t try and keep up with faster riders. I think your biggest hurdle will be being in the saddle for that long without being used to it. Get some miles under your belt and get used to being in the saddle. Get the drinking, eating, ride position, pace, what your wearing right and on the day the buzz will get you through it.

ideal range.

sure I'm sustained.

How far have you ridden lately?
Riding longer than you're accustomed to can become very uncomfortable very quickly.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
As you don't give any info on your current riding I assume it's minimal. In which case 112km (70 miles) is highly unlikely.

Friends always assume because I can ride 100+ miles without a problem that I'm a good walker. Nope. 10 miles is my walking limit.

Alex321

Veteran
Walking and cycling are very different activities, using different muscles, different position, and usually a different intensity.

If you haven't regularly ridden at least 30miles/50Km, then going straight in with 112Km is a BIG ask.

I cycle most days, usually between 10-18 miles during the week, 20-35 miles at the weekend, and have been doing so pretty regularly for the last 3 years. I did my first ever ride of that length last weekend, and while I got round, I struggled on the later hills - ones which I would have got up quite easily at the start of the ride. Though I think that was mainly through not getting nutrition right.

You will be in the saddle for at least 4 hours, probably more like 4.5, and if you are not reasonably used to doing rides of at least half that length, your sit-bones will HURT.

Sharky

Guru
One "test" would be to do the distance over several days in a week. If you can get to the end of the week and still have energy inside you, then you can do the 68 miles in a single day.
So do 23 miles on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Or do 34 miles on two days, Tuesday and Thursday.

Etc

davidphilips

Veteran
Only my view and have to idea how fit you are or what age you are but perhaps ask your GP and even if they says yes you are %100, plan lots of stops and drink lots perhaps a lot more that you think you need and remember the drinking rule when cycling , if you feel thirsty then you have left it to late.

Anyone can do a very long ride ONCE. Whether you want to do another again afterwards is a different question.

I wouldn't fancy it myself.

boydj

Legendary Member
If you don't train and build up your mileage over a couple months, you are likely to crash and burn on the audax. It sounds like you've not done much , if any, cycling. Do you have a road bike? Doing a ride of this length on any other kind of bike would be even harder.

On the other hand, getting into cycling is a great idea as a way of getting fit and losing weight, so a more sensible target would be planning on this audax next year and spend the time building up strength and fitness and gaining experience on a road bike.

Top Bottom