"Can I listen to headphones whilst riding / training"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

I don't use headphones whilst out riding on the roads, but I will when I'm in the shed on the turbo.

sheffgirl

Sometimes I will ride with one headphone in my left ear, so I can hearthe road. My hheadphones do block out background noise but I can still hear approaching cars with both in.
Most of the time I don't even have any musicon. I save it for the uphill bits to help pace myself.

BigAl68

Über Member
I do but only with one ear piece in as I my phone has lost the other channel. I do intend to get it fixed and do use both but only on my 5am commute that's along a cycle path. On roads I never do as I want to hear the cars etc.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
I used to but now quite enjoy riding without. Feels a bit more relaxed without tunes being belted into your ear. I don't think there is anything wrong with listening to music though. If you cannot judge your surroundings with them in then don't wear them, simples.

Lets cut to the chase here.If your wife finds 18 miles boring then cycling isn't for her is it,music or not?
Maybe. If she found it intolerably, "rowing machine" boring, then it's probably not for her. But if she sound it a little dull, then maybe a small distraction may make the difference.

I prefer cycling with some chat in my ear, and I don't think you can say that cycling is not for me.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
"... on no account should you listen to audio equipment while you are cycling."

John franklin, Cyclecraft.
1997 edition
P26
1997 though. Franklin is probably thinking of those enormous boomboxes, and forbids them because it's difficult to keep balance while resting the device on your shoulder.

"But, John Franklin, how will I listen to Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince?" you cry.
"Safety first" says Franklin, smiling benevolently, before giving you a thumbs up, and riding away doing a wheelie.

brand

A simple answer to this is deaf people are allowed to ride bikes or to be more precise wouldn't get told off for doing so.
Just wear it in one ear (the left) and put a mirror on, glancing at it regularly.
She might enjoy it after a while. Most people would find it less boring than an exercise bike or any other machine. Even if she finds it boring it is still healthy.
This doesn't apply to me as I would prefer to listen to the bird song, the cockerel crowing and the owls hooting....the benefits of living in the countryside.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
I usually listen to music when I ride, not so loud that I can't hear anything, but then I listen to music when doing pretty much everything. A side effect of this is that I regularly shoulder check.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Not for me and imho anyone who rides with headphones is clearly daft (toned down from my usual response) :thanks:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Buy her a pair of Aftershokz bone conduction headphones. Ears are open to all other sounds and they are fabby.
Tried a set of these at my local running shop, really impressed. Bit like driving a car with the radio on, and I was able to have a chat with the shop assistant whilst listening to music with no problem. Not bought any yet though, at the best part of £50 for the cheapest one's they will have to wait..

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Ambient noise for a cyclist with earphones in-70db

Ambient noise for a car driver with windows closed-50db

wouldn't it depend considerably on the earphones? Some keep out outside noise, and some don't.
I guess ditto the car - with say, a near silent Rolls keeping out most outside noise, or far that matter an old Landy drowning out most outside noise.

Still 20dB difference - with cars letting in more outside noise (if I've understood figures right)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom