"Can I listen to headphones whilst riding / training"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfraser

Über Member
I stand corrected about Born to be Wild – how embarrassing to be wrong about something so easily fact-checked! – though I'm curious why you've chosen 1967. Almost everything that floats my boat came after that, including my favourite Dylan…
I would've picked 1967 too, or more precisely 66 - 68. In my case it's because it's around the time of a big change in music. The rise of rock and psychedelic rock, Hendrix and Zeppelin and Floyd and Purple and Cream.

Licramite

Über Member
I find music helps to keep me motivated, but again earphones out on the road is a bit of a no no, so I rigged a mini speaker on the left hand side of my helmet, I can hear the music and any traffic around me.
Of course other people can hear my music but what do I care, they will only be by me for a moment before they leave me in their dust as they zoom by (and I'm talking other cyclists here) (or joggers, dog-walkers, zimmer frame users)

Last edited:

TheSoulReaver03

They're not neccessarily dangerous, though I wouldn't recommend them in city traffic. Just look behind you often, keep it to the side of the road and you'll have no problems unless someone wants to ram you on purpose.

Don't keep to the side of the road, that's how you will get squished at pinch points.

Headphones don't feature in the top fifty ways accidents and collisions are caused.

CF_tBJvXIAA2z7Y.jpg

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Riding home yesterday evening on the commute, headphones in as usual, I heard the police siren approach from behind, and pulled out of the way well before most of the cars around me.

More riders are killed by drivers playing with their mobiles than from anything to do with headphones, so B&H have their priorities skewed. Yet another example of cyclists being asked to modify their behaviour, no matter than the facts point out that headphones are nowhere near a significant factor in the causes of RTCs.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
At Christmas I was bought a pair of Audio Technica CPK500 sports headphones. They are a weird in ear fit (with the kind of 'cage' that slots inside the ear to keep them in place and then a bud that goes in to the ear) and have been 'blessed' with the super tangle type of cable that snags on absolutely everything. But on the plus side they are very comfortable and the buds come in two types as well as three sizes. One is smooth and fits snugly in to the ear, the other is ribbed (or possibly furrowed) and fits in so you can hear the music, but doesn't make a tight fit. I am always careful to ride with the volume pretty low anyway but even so occasionally conversations at traffic lights were an issue sometimes with standard ear buds (although I never had issue hearing traffic that mattered during the ride) but I can comfortably hold a conversation with these and they really do seem to serve the purpose of adding music without adding isolation with the ribbed option on the buds (initially I couldn't imagine they'd make a difference).

They are handy, although I'd just wear buds if I didn't have them as I think it's a lot more about the volume you choose to listen to than the action of listening at all.

AndyWilliams

Über Member
I'll take back what I said about riding with headphones. I got something stuck in my tyre when riding, didn't hear the puncture and kept riding. OK I felt it going down but still.....

So, I have been riding without headphones and I am surprised what I hear and how I am much more alert. And I prefer it too.

Red17

Veteran
Motorcyclists are advised to wear ear plugs to reduce the noise. Suffer from hearing damage otherwise.

Its down to wind noise mainly - much worse with modern well ventilated helmets. Not sure if it was as much of an issue before helmets became compulsory but that is a whole other argument.

TheSoulReaver03

I always use earphones when cycling. It's boring listening to chainrattle and cars passing by. Look behind you often and you'll have no problems.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I always use earphones when cycling. It's boring listening to chainrattle and cars passing by. Look behind you often and you'll have no problems.
(a) Adjust your chain so it doesn't rattle and (b) find a quieter road or some friends. Then you can listen to the birds, the frogs and the insects, or have a chat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom