Can I Put a QR on a SS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Looks like a 2010 to me, 2007 was shoot coloured, 2008 was either black but different decals or white blue and red, 2009 was bare metal, 2010 looks like that above (although the pic is shoot so cant see much) and the 2011 has more decals.

Ibbots

Both my offroad single speeds have QR's but that's because I'm using standard mtb wheels and horizontal drop outs. Get round the slippage problems with a chain tug on the drive side - seems to work pushing up some steep hills.

Bicycle

I imagine it's perfectly possible (and earlier replies suggest it is).

It seems also to be a fairly popular wheeze.

I use 15mm nuts on the rear of my fixie (the only machine in the family without QR on both wheels).

I do so because my preferred way of getting the chain just right is by locking off one side first.

There is probably a clever way of doing it using QR, but I learn slowly.

The only drawback is that I ride with a 15mm spanner in my pocket.

Also some cake, but that's not used for removing the rear wheel.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
QRs can be used on single speed/ fixed set ups but there is a reason that they aren't, and it's all to do with chain tension. It's just more difficult to acheive the correct tension on a wheel equipped with a QR.

I use 15mm nuts on the rear of my fixie (the only machine in the family without QR on both wheels).

I do so because my preferred way of getting the chain just right is by locking off one side first.

There is probably a clever way of doing it using QR, but I learn slowly.
I was lucky because the frame I used for my s/s has little threaded adjusters going through the back of the dropouts. I can adjust them so the back wheel is straight (and the chain tight) when I pull it back against the adjusters with one hand and do up the QR with the other.

You can just see one of the adjusters in this photo ...

forward-facing-ss-dropouts.jpg

Bicycle

I was lucky because the frame I used for my s/s has little threaded adjusters going through the back of the dropouts. I can adjust them so the back wheel is straight (and the chain tight) when I pull it back against the adjusters with one hand and do up the QR with the other.

You can just see one of the adjusters in this photo ...

forward-facing-ss-dropouts.jpg

Tee hee... Mine had those too.

I just didn't get on with them and didn't trust them. They had an untrustworthy look about them.

I don't like fiddly stuff. I like putting the wheel in, leaning on a spanner, tapping the tyre across and leaning on a spanner again.

If I could fix everything on my bicycle with a neoprene assembly mallet, I would.

I don't get asked to fix people's bikes.

Top Bottom