Can I swap canti for disk brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

karen.488walker

I have a scott contessa MTB with canti brakes but am starting to come down mountains in Switzerland (frequently) at the moment I'm sticking to road routes but will need to venture further afield eventually. Can I convert to disk brakes and do I need to? Can anyone rec. some bar ends aswell and do i fit theem over the current handlebar grips?
Am trying hard but technically useless!!

Globalti

Legendary Member
You don't NEED discs but they are better in muddy conditions (i.e. all over the UK) and won't wear your rims out. A well adjusted V brake works just as well on a dry rim (i.e. the Alps in summer)

If your frame and forks have the right fittings you can easily upgrade but don't forget that you'll need new wheels, new brake levers and possible gear changers as well. Is it worth the expense? There is also a small weight penalty for discs over V brakes.

If you're doing lots of downhilling you might find Ergon grips good, they are super-comfortable especially on long rocky descents. One model comes with a small bar end.

RedBike

If your frame is old enough for cantilever brakes then it is very unlikely to have the mountings required for disc brakes. You can get adapters but the cost of the brakes, new wheels, adapters and fitting is likely to pretty high.

Your best option is probably to fit a GOOD set of V brakes. Once correctly setup they will stop you (in the dry) just as quickly as most xc disc brakes.

RedBike

I would get them at your local shop so they can fit them. It should be relatively simple to swap from Cantilever brakes to V brakes but there's always the chance that the frames cable stops will be in the wrong locations which will complicate things.

As for which model(s) Standard Deore are perfectly aceptable but LX/XT have an extra pivot that helps improve braking with worn pads. It all depends on how much you want to spend.

Are you sure your bike currently has cantilever brakes? I've always thought of the Contessa as a relatively new model which would mean it would either have discs or V's already!

TimP

If you want unnecessarily good stopping power from rim brakes have a look at Magura hydraulic rim brakes, they fit onto standard canti/v-brake bosses. Just be careful not to go over the bars as you get use to the extra stopping power.

HS33s can be got for £100ish.

OP
OP
karen.488walker

karen.488walker

Would these cause the rim to heat up and avoid a blow out which is what I'm most concerned about? I am v slow downhill and quite heavy on the braking. Especially around here.

tyred

Legendary Member
Alternate front and back brakes to prevent the temp on the rims getting out of hand.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
RedBike talks sense here. V brakes are on the bike in his the picture. Pad change and a spot of fettling by self, significant other, or LBS will be cheapest option. Sometimes buffing the rims with steel wool improves things for a bit IMO.

(Remember to improve the effectiveness of the back brake on off road downhills by getting your rear off the back of the saddle and down over the tyre. Steeper the hill nearer the tyre your bum needs to be. Crud guard comes in handy to prevent direct tyre/arse contact....!)

After that I'd look at a lever swap esp if you have smallish hands. Avid Speed Dials totally transformed the performance and feel of the V brakes on my old (canti conversion) rockhopper. after that I'd look at Avid Arch Rival brakes or something similar.

Then Magura's then a disc conversion but at that point I'd look at selling the scott as is and putting the dosh towards a new bike as that is a lot of expense and you will need your wheels rebuilt with disc hubs or need to buy new wheels if you want discs

Top Bottom