Can incorrect chain length cause FD shifting problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Hi all :smile:.

I recently replaced various parts on my bike, including the rear cassette, chain and crankset, and I had major problems adjusting the front derailleur so it would consistently shift between the large and middle chain rings. It's working reasonably well at the moment, but could be better, as it's a bit noisy shifting from the large to middle chain ring.

I couldn't work out what the cause might be. At one point, I suspected chain ring spacing, but I compared the spacing between the frame and middle chain ring, and between the middle and large chain rings, between the old and new cranksets, and they appear to be identical. Then just now, while ordering new chains from CRC, it occurred to me that perhaps the chain length is a bit too short? When I put the new chain on, I noticed that it appeared to be 1-2 links (I forget exactly which it was :blush:) shorter than the old chain.

Can having a chain a bit too short cause the shifting problems I described?

Regards,

--- Victor.

Brommyboy

Über Member
The correct chain length can be crucial: put it on your largest front and rear rings. With a double chainset, there should be two extra rings, with a triple, four extra links, on a tightly pulled chain, ie with the dérailleur fully extended. It may be that your front cable needs some adjustment, on the barrel connector. The front dérailleur screws only adjust the extremity of travel, not the shifting between inner and outer.

Top Bottom