Can it be saved or do i scrap ????????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
I don't know - am I right in thinking ( a quick think ) that the part of the frame where it has snapped is a relatively low load bearing point?

If you can get it welded for peanuts, why not use it for a shopping bike?

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Nah that'll fix- take it from me. if you wanted it for best then you could get a new chainstay put in for ~£50. you could blag it for a packet of cigs at the local welders and use it as, like 400BHP sez, a shopper. if you don't want it i'll be interested in what you'd want for the fork.

the chainstay is fine - it's the drop out which has snapped. Unless you had access to a frame jig, 'putting a new chainstay in' is not really an option, not to mention unnecessary, not to mention that finding a replacement chainstay or fabricating a new one would put the cost well above £50.

If this was a vintage Colnago, Rossin, De Rosa, Daccordi, or maybe a Hetchins or something else collectable, it might be different. But it's not - it's a mass-produced Taiwanese MTB frame from the 90s. Seriously, take it to the tip and move on...

Honestly it'll fix! Inexpensively!

The only way to fix that 'inexpensively' is to jig it and run a weld around the steel plate dropout and hope it held together the first time you turned the pedals or went over a bump. I would give it two weeks max before it broke again. The frame itself is not worth anything like £50 even if it wasn't broken.

You can buy complete bikes like that for less than £50 in your local small ads...

I'm afraid I shuddered when I saw the 360 degree brake collars on the BMX, they are a superb piece of engineering but so many kids have them on their bikes and they're either (a) cheap original components, (b) not maintained at all or (c) a combination of the two which tends to leave them with absolutely no brakes whatever :ohmy:

Top Bottom