Can my RD take an 11-32t cassette?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amrit1714

I'm going to get an 11-32t cassette because I live in a hilly area and there is one hill I just can't get up without going into the red with my 11-27. My RD is short cage but I think it accepts a 32t if I'm reading the info coreectly. Could someone confirm please? Got an image of the specs attached and here is the link if it doesn't show up: http://bike.shimano.com/content/sac...ing---braking/rear-deraileurs/rd-3500-ss.html

Attachments

• RD Specs.png
    RD Specs.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 71

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
It would take an 11/30 and those extra three teeth would make a huge difference, a 32 would be pushing it. You'll need to lengthen your chain so use this to tell you how many links -

http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/bike/chain_length/chainlengthcalc.html

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You are supposed to be in the red going up hill. :tongue:

Seriously, be careful running to the extreme limit. I assume there is a 50/34 compact. If fitting, make sure the mech and chain can run the 50 x 32, then check it in the 34 x 11 before you even attempt to ride it. Adjust the chain so the mech will just about cope with big/big, then check the cage can cope with the small/small without a droopy chain.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Yes it can reading that spec. It gives max of 32. And capacity of 37.

You have 16t from front difference of 50-34 so can take the 21t from 32-11.

A12-32 might be better if you can find one, one less double tooth jump.

OP
OP
A

Amrit1714

Ok thanks. Thinking about it, I think I might be better off with an 11-30 as I don't struggle so much that I need the 5 extra teeth to be honest.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
If you can get up it on 34-27 then 34-30 will make it a heck of a lot easier, so I reckon that's a good option and removes a couple of double teeth shifts on the cassette vs an 11-32

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I think an 11 30 will make a big difference .the tiagra 11 30 works well and is less than £20.

Make sure your new chain is long enough.too short could snap the frame if you accidently go onto big big one day.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I have taken the £12 HG50 11-30 and ditched the 11t, inserting a 13t between the 12t and the 14t. 50-12 gives you a gear length of 112" which is more than long enough for normal mortals, so the 11t would be redundant. This helps visualise the options: gear calculator

Last edited:

Broadside

Guru
I've just put a 32-11t cassette on my wife's bike. I replaced the chain and made it a bit longer than the previous. Her bike has a short cage mech, it is tight but it does work. I made the chain long enough to go big-big, when in small-small the rear mech is on the limit and only just takes up the slack of the chain.

huwsparky

Über Member
Why drop to 11 when you're running a 32 lowest gear, I'd sooner run a closer range.
In an ideal world a close cassette is nice but if you live in a hilly area it means you spend a lot of time going down as well as up, I usually spin out my 11 on every ride on at least a few occasions...id rather have that extra jump personally and keep the 11. All depends how you like descending I suppose.

fatjel

Veteran
Many bikes come new with short cage sora rear mech and 11-32 .
I have 11-34 on my Boardman with short cage 105 which works with no issues
Chain is same as it came with

Top Bottom