Can SSCX still be competitive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thegiantpeanut

Looking to get a bit more involved with cx this season but only have my trusty single speed surly cross check in my stable. I have always loved riding offroad single speed, less shoot to clean up, less stuff to break and something to blame falling off on. But for getting into serious cross races, especially in the uk where there is no separate catagory, will I be pooped? I would say I am fairly fit, race road and track during sunny season, so I dont think that should be a limiting factor. Perhaps I should just griz it and dive in

VamP

Banned
Competitive enough to begin with. Some courses less so. But dive in and see, there is a lot of learning curve anyways so I wouldn't worry about it.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Competitive enough I'd say. Definitely dive in, you'll learn plenty and if you already race you could go quite well. Someone from our club finished quite high up in the league riding SS a few years back.

If the weather is really shoot definitely turn up- the fields can get seriously reduced and league points are easier to get, plus no chance of a sheared-off rear mech to spoil the ride.

oldroadman

Veteran
If it's for fun and you are not bothered about wins, and losing out to properly equipped riders, then why not. But competitive at any decent level, no way.

Howard

Ask yourself this question: are you planning on winning a league / regional / national / international?

If yes, then SSCX might not be for you.

If no, dive right in :smile:

montage

God Almighty
Looking to get a bit more involved with cx this season but only have my trusty single speed surly cross check in my stable. I have always loved riding offroad single speed, less s*** to clean up, less stuff to break and something to blame falling off on. But for getting into serious cross races, especially in the uk where there is no separate catagory, will I be pooped? I would say I am fairly fit, race road and track during sunny season, so I dont think that should be a limiting factor. Perhaps I should just griz it and dive in

no

Howard

Well yes - hardly a strong contribution :smile: Whether SSCX is for you all depends on your goals.

VamP

Banned
not easy if you are already spinning out..

Time to have a breather then :smile:

I have seen people on SS happily midpack in Sunday league races. I haven't seen anyone in the top ten. I think the OP just wants to know whether he's going to be tail end Charlie - which he's not. Or if he is, it won't be because of his gearing.

He might have to run a few sections that others ride. No biggie.

Top Bottom