Can Sti changers work on 7 or even 6 cog cassettes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I'm doing up an old Raleigh and want to give it some modern touches. I can only afford the bottom of the range and want to know if they will be ok on the older type cassettes which presumably have a different size gap between the cogs. Will this affect indexing? If so is there a way around it?
If impossible to do are bar end shifters a possibility?

festival

Über Member
No they won't work, yes it will affect the indexing, maybe bar end's will work if they match your gear system.
Its difficult to give you advise without knowing more, but my advise is put what money you have aside, save up more and buy a new or better 2nd hand bike.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I'm pretty certain the only 7sp STI drop bar shifters were RSX, and they are very rare now.

Bar ends will work fine, either indexed if you can get 7sp, but more likely in friction mode where you choose the tension yourself. Pairing a set of dia-compe bar ends with Tektro drop bar brake levers would probably be about the cheapest way of doing it being about £60-70 for the lot.

Of course there's nothing wrong with using down tube shifters either :smile:

grimpeur

Veteran
I'm pretty certain the only 7sp STI drop bar shifters were RSX, and they are very rare now.

Bar ends will work fine, either indexed if you can get 7sp, but more likely in friction mode where you choose the tension yourself. Pairing a set of dia-compe bar ends with Tektro drop bar brake levers would probably be about the cheapest way of doing it being about £60-70 for the lot.

Of course there's nothing wrong with using down tube shifters either :smile:

Sora 7 speed sti's were common and are still available secondhand.

gbb

Legendary Member
I'm doing up an old Raleigh and want to give it some modern touches. I can only afford the bottom of the range and want to know if they will be ok on the older type cassettes which presumably have a different size gap between the cogs. Will this affect indexing? If so is there a way around it?
If impossible to do are bar end shifters a possibility?

I did similar with an old 1970s 5 speed Raleigh for the wife. Ancient old 5 speed freewheel and friction shifters, fitted a pair of gripshifts (which are indexed of course)...it works fine. That said, i have read some old 5 speed freewheels sprockets are not equally spaced, so fitting indexed shifters wont work on REALLY cheap or old stuff.....but i can be done on some.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You can do it. Assuming you can fit a cassette. Use 8 speed 3mm spacers and an 8 speed STI or SIS shifter. You need to be able to strip the cassette to individual sprockets - buy an 8 speed cassette, use 7 !

Top Bottom