Can three minutes of exercise a week help make you fit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Yup. I'd have gone for a fried egg myself, but it was making me hungry looking at it!

I wonder if they'll be very busy today!

Dammit, not had a full English (Scottish) for ages. Want one now!
That can be sorted!:hungry:

I saw the programme.
One of the things that was interesting was that I seem to already do a lot of the stuff suggested (except eat less). I fidget constantly, rarely sit down for long and rarely sit still, I walk quickly and dash about doing stuff, and I have short bursts of intense activity in the workshop hack sawing steel.

I often don't bother warming up for an activity as I am constantly warmed up just from dashing about and stretching. It is amazing how much of a work out it is brushing teeth while balancing on one leg first thing in the morning. :training:

Andrew_P

In between here and there
My HR goes from 115 to 160 for at least 2 minutes at least 4 times on my commute so did that qualify for HIT?

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I thought it was fascinating.
I must admit I was deeply sceptical but it does actually make some sense.
He was basically working himself to max heart rate which is something I very rarely do, even when pushing it on a hard ride as I'm looking to always keep something in reserve. I can understand how that sort of intensity, even very briefly, could trigger an emergency response from the body to do something about it.

I won't be dropping the cycling and switching to HIT anytime soon, but I will make a conscious effort to hit max heart rate a couple of times a week whilst out on the bike and see how it goes.

Arch

Married to Night Train
If you think about the original human lifestyle of hunting and gathering, it'll probably have been long periods of relatively gentle exercise - tracking, or gathering - with short bursts of intense activity when closing in for the kill.

If you think about the original human lifestyle of hunting and gathering, it'll probably have been long periods of relatively gentle exercise - tracking, or gathering - with short bursts of intense activity when closing in for the kill.
Sorry Arch, I just had this vision of blokes in animal skins attacking some scared looking bean sprouts. Seriously though you have a point and back then even before I was a lad that is exactly the kind of activity that went on.
What worries me about the programme if someone unfit / obese was watching from the beginning then they are just as likely to switch off after seeing the doc tear a muscle after only running a few yards. Secondly, to reach your maximum heart rate you need to warm up first, tearing a muscle in the first few seconds of high intensity exercise seems to me to be sending mixed messages. Thirdly, as Colin pointed out earlier, there is a real danger of a heart attack if you are a complete stranger to exercise.
I can't argue with the physiological results but I do question the methodology that is required to reach them.

Arch

Married to Night Train
From what I've read, there is a warm up period - perhaps it just didn't come across in the film.

Those beansprouts are tricky customers you know, take a lot of stalking.

Beanstalking...

GrasB

Veteran
I'll admit to skim reading the article but it basically sounds like tabata intervals - 8 reps of 20s high intensity intervals (typically at 175-200% FTP) + 10s rest (50% FTP) between. Which is 4 min per session & its very effective at both muscular & CV fitness. The thing is though you need to do about 5 min warm up & cool down to avoid doing serious long term damage to muscles & joints.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I'll admit to skim reading the article but it basically sounds like tabata intervals - 8 reps of 20s high intensity intervals (typically at 175-200% FTP) + 10s rest (50% FTP) between. Which is 4 min per session & its very effective at both muscular & CV fitness. The thing is though you need to do about 5 min warm up & cool down to avoid doing serious long term damage to muscles & joints.

Does that mean that it works well if you include your HIT as part of a longer/gentler bike ride?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
You mean I wasted almost 3.5 hours of my Sunday morning doing a 52 mile ride when riding to the end of the driveway and back would have sufficed:angry:
if it took you 3.5 hours to ride 52 miles, then you'd be better off sticking to the driveway!

Alun

Guru
The point was made several times during the programme that if if you enjoy going to the gym (or presumably, cycling) then carry on. HIT isn't meant to replace this.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Of course all of this is rubbish....we all ride bikes because we love riding...and (I suspect) no one really gives a huge stuff about whether it's the best way to get fit ^_^

I still haven't watched the programme yet but I can't imagine any forumites will find HIT attractive. Aren't hills already a form of High Intensity Topography - often with a highly rewarding warm down built in afterwards?

Most rides probably already take the heart through a good range of its gears but it might be interesting to think about how the findings could be incorporated into tweaking the commute, for example.

AnneW

Über Member
I guess it depends on your level. Those of who are only just getting into cycling may benefit from HIT as part of our training. Those who are fit as fiddles probably don't need it.

Horses for courses, and all that.

I'm going to try it - even though, from experience, I am probably at the crap end of the responder scale. It can't hurt......:training:

tyred

Legendary Member
if it took you 3.5 hours to ride 52 miles, then you'd be better off sticking to the driveway!

Sorry, I'll just give up cycling all together because you think I spend too long going for a ride. I take time to admire the scenery and take photographs.

AnneW

Über Member
dellzeqq said:
if it took you 3.5 hours to ride 52 miles, then you'd be better off sticking to the driveway!​
Sorry, I'll just give up cycling all together because you think I spend too long going for a ride. I take time to admire the scenery and take photographs.

Tyred some of us (me!) wish we could ride 52 miles in 3.5 hours. It would halve the time for my Manchester to Blackpool trip...

Bovvered? :headshake:

Top Bottom