Can victims or family go after assets of those convicted?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Besides the conviction, I wonder if private lawsuits for damages by the victim or their families possible. Seen it across the pond but not i

Drago

Legendary Member
Its a very broad question, but the answer is potentially, 'yes'.

There was a case some years ago involving a conviceted rapist who won 7 million on the lottery while in prison on day release. One of his victims sued, although i don't know how much they got.

Edit - they won £100,000 in court.

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

Its a very broad question, but the answer is potentially, 'yes'.

There was a case some years ago involving a conviceted rapist who won 7 million on the lottery while in prison on day release. One of his victims sued, although i don't know how much they got.

Edit - they won £100,000 in court.
Thanks. Glad that it is possible. It will help family and victims to some extent to rebuild their lives. I wish the Sarah's and the rest in similar situation sue.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Linking to a recent posting.
Didn’t Jimmy Savile’s estate have to cough up
Cash to his victims so his heirs got nothing.

400ixl

This is the difference between a civil and criminal case. Civil cases tend to be for financial compensation and can be made against assets of the individual or family. Quite common in the US.

Milzy

Guru
If someone is murdered out in the street their family may not get a penny. If the same person was murdered in a night club you can sue for around a million pounds as the bouncers can be found at fault. For example letting someone in drunk & dodgy looking who went on to attack people inside.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Besides the conviction, I wonder if private lawsuits for damages by the victim or their families possible. Seen it across the pond but not i

Yes.

Some supermarkets have a policy of always prosecuting thieves and, in addition, seeking civil recovery for their losses. They are not mutually exlusive.

Top Bottom