Can you charge a Garmin Edge Touring whilst in use?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
Wot it says in the title.
Am I doing something wrong?
When i plug into the USB on my computer to top up the charge, it won't turn on.
I'm looking to charge it on the bike but it seems I might have to have it off (ooh err missus) to do so?

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
When you connect it to a computer, it automatically switches to mass storage mode. To charge it while using it, plug it into mains power (via a USB plug) instead.

Peteaud

Veteran
Depends on what you have it set to.

Windows 8 has sleep and charge mode, this is what it does. But you can overide it.

Although if you are inside it wont find the satelites and goes into meltdown mode anyway.

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
Depends on what you have it set to.

Windows 8 has sleep and charge mode, this is what it does. But you can overide it.

Although if you are inside it wont find the satelites and goes into meltdown mode anyway.
Ok, how do you overide it?. And not clear what you mean by, "Depends what you have it set to."
Not had the unit long.
Cheers for the reply.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
You can easily stop it looking for satellites by going:

MENU / Settings (tap the Spanner icon) / System / GPS / GPS Mode / Tap Off.

Tap the Back arrow 3 times and then the Red Cross.

Repeat the above sequence but tap On in the final stage to allow it to search for satellites when outside again.

andym

Über Member
Oh, another thing. When I connect my eTrex to my computer I need to switch it on first, and when I disconnect it automatically turns off. Could it be as simple as, rather than expecting it to power up when you connect, you need to turn it on, connect it to your computer, dynamo or whatever, and then it will do the trickle-charging thing?

It is to do with the USB cable.

If you remove the data pins then it will charge without going into data mode.

This is exactly what happens with the modified PowerMonkey that Garmin sells as a backup
that's rather useful to know because whilst we can run and charge our Garmin Edge 200 at the same time, we have found we couldn't with the Edge 500 and that question was the very reason for not purchasing an edge touring... may have to conduct some tests!

Top Bottom