Can you damage steel drop outs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
iLB

iLB

Hello there
Meant 'Any'.. Pudding fingers typing on a phone.

Worth checking, but could very well be the brakes causing the issue.

Anything changed on the bike. Is this a new problem, is bike new, are any parts new ?

Right, did some careful front brake testing on a downhill close to home this evening. It lasted 5 or 6 test runs but then one final test and I saw the wheel pop out to the left, not enough to stop the bike or stop the brake working again. But enough to be a significant concern.

Anyone had this before?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You need a better QR. I can have a look to see if I have a Shimano one spare. What sort of QR is it.

Shimano and Campag have always been the best. As I and others mentioned, this is the braking force causing this.

OP
OP
iLB

iLB

Hello there
You need a better QR. I can have a look to see if I have a Shimano one spare. What sort of QR is it.

Shimano and Campag have always been the best. As I and others mentioned, this is the braking force causing this.

Thanks, I'll post in wanted as well.

Any risk of having done collateral damage by riding a bit before noticing?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Lawyer lips are to prevent the wheel falling out of the frame for those who are too mentally challenged to realise they need to close the quick release after putting the wheel back in.
Like a buffoon I know from the Hebden Bridge/Todmorden area who forgot to tighten his front QR properly after fitting mudguards to his bike and rode 44 miles with a loose front wheel! :whistle: :blush:

I knew someone who had bling super-light titanium QRs which never managed to keep her rear wheel in place under hard pedalling. She switched to standard heavy-duty QRs (I can't remember if they were Shimano or Campagnolo, but definitely one or t'other) and the problem went away.

I remember a lot of worry in the mountain biking world a few years ago about front wheels being ejected by disk brakes. If you work out which direction the forces operate in you can see that @Ian H is right - the dropout direction can stop this problem or make it possible. A QR gripping tight enough will stop it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
MTBs tend to go with through axels to assist with stiffness in the suspension, i.e its another bracing point for FS bikes especially. It also helps as MTB brakes are way more powerful.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Shimano QR skewers have steel teeth in the adjuster nut, which will dig into the dropout a bit and go a long way to preventing movement, if you put the nut on the disc side and the lever on the other side.
Allen key "QR"s grip tightest, but generally won't have any teeth, just being serrated aluminium, so there's not much in it.

Lightweight external cam QRs (with the lever centrally placed, rather than on the side like it is on an internal cam QR) often won't grip tightly enough to stop movement.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
MTBs tend to go with through axels to assist with stiffness in the suspension, i.e its another bracing point for FS bikes especially. It also helps as MTB brakes are way more powerful.
Modern ones - yes. My Rock Lobster is about 16 years old now and has conventional QRs.

Top Bottom