Can you fix break pads not pushing in?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randombiker9

So my mum wants to use her bike again after getting a new helmet but hers is working fine apart from one thing. The left break pads aren't pushing in however the right both break pads are . How do you fix this? or would It have to go to bike shop to get fixed?
EDIT: It's the left break pad on both wheels (Just checked again)

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Pictures of brake type please. If it's v brakes there is an adjustment on one if not both brake arms to adjust the spring tension.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Cantilever. I have adjusters on my cantilevers. There will be a screw on one side to adjust the spring tension.

They can be a bit of a pain to adjust. Make sure each cantilever is moving freely.

Can I ask, does it say "Altus" on the cantilevers, and between the alloy brake arm and the frame is there a grey plastic "sleeve" about 10mm wide?

If so check if that plastic sleeve is cracked

If it's a bike that's a few years old it could have CT90 brakes that were really common on entry level bikes and the grey plastic bit ALWAYS broke. Unfortunately this is what controls the adjuster and spring tension

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

I just fiddled around with the brakes and that seemed to solve the problem for the left front brake pad but not back but this might just be because my mum bikes needs a bit of a Clean since there's alot of mud/dirt under her rear left brake pad.

Top Bottom