Can you over inflate??

pda

Active Member
Can you over inflate tyres? I borrowed my mates floor pump and put 120psi into both my wheels. On the ride home my bones were shaking, on smooth bits of road all was fine but on the cycle path or any uneven terrain I thought something was going to break.

Did I put too much air in?

Cheers
 

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Location
South Croydon
Whats the recommended pressures on your tyres? i pump mine up to 135PSI every time i go out.
 

aJohnson

Senior Member
Location
Bury, Manchester
When the pressure is higher you'll feel the bumps more.

I have no idea what I inflate mine to as I'm puzzled by my gauge, but I pump them so I can just squeeze them in a little.
 

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
The pressure you use is dependent on your weight, the tyre size and the road surfaces you expect to experience. The maximum pressure recommended by the manufacturer is, IMHO, to be used on a perfectly smooth surface such as a track. Using too high a pressure not only causes a harsh ride, but can result in poorer grip due to tyre hop on rough bends. On the other hand, too low a pressure can result in a distinctly unsafe ride due to lack of grip and a tendency to p***tures.

As in many things, the ideal is somewhere between. You can only experiment to find your ideal. If it helps, I am 11 stone in weight and use 23mm tyres on my road bike. I use 90psi in the rear and 80psi in the front. I find this an excellent compromise between comfort and grip and p***ture resistance. (No p***ture in three years).
 
Berto's 15% drop theory is interesting but his graph becomes less and less believable at the extremes: 155+PSI for my back tyre?

I know bike shops whose equipment cannot achieve such pressures, and I suspect neither can the the majority of road bike owners.
 

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
mickle said:
Berto's 15% drop theory is interesting but his graph becomes less and less believable at the extremes: 155+PSI for my back tyre?

I know bike shops whose equipment cannot achieve such pressures, and I suspect neither can the the majority of road bike owners.
- or tyres/worn rims withstand such pressures?
 

GrasB

Veteran
Location
Nr Cambridge
mickle said:
Berto's 15% drop theory is interesting but his graph becomes less and less believable at the extremes: 155+PSI for my back tyre?

I know bike shops whose equipment cannot achieve such pressures, and I suspect neither can the the majority of road bike owners.
+1... the numbers don't make good sense to me. My partner should be running around 50/60psi front/rear on her 700x23c tyres, I'm sorry but that's just wrong! For me it comes out at a semi-resonabe 80/100psi for 700x23s but even at those pressures the front will wander around & there's a highish risk of pinch punctures. For 700x28c comes out at 60/70psi which is well into treacle territory for rolling resistance & will cause handling problems.
 

PpPete

Guru
Location
Chandler's Ford
mickle said:
Berto's 15% drop theory is interesting but his graph becomes less and less believable at the extremes: 155+PSI for my back tyre?

I know bike shops whose equipment cannot achieve such pressures, and I suspect neither can the the majority of road bike owners.
Well under the graphs it does point out that:

For heavy riders/bikes, narrow tyres require very high inflation pressures, and wide tyres are a better choice.
(I have corrected his "colonial" spelling)

But as you say Mickle - less believable at the extremes.

I don't know that I'd want to go above the tyre manufacturer's recommended pressure anyway, whatever Berto's theory says. And I'm sure LBS won't either in this litigous age.

OTH it makes think that whilst inflating my rear tyre (25mm) to its rated max 115psi is probably correct for my bike and weight, 115 psi maybe too much at the front.
 

PpPete

Guru
Location
Chandler's Ford
GrasB said:
I'm sorry but that's just wrong! For me it comes out at a semi-resonabe 80/100psi for 700x23s but even at those pressures the front will wander around & there's a highish risk of pinch punctures. For 700x28c comes out at 60/70psi which is well into treacle territory for rolling resistance & will cause handling problems.
You're a lightweight !:smile:

GrasB said:
+1... the numbers don't make good sense to me. My partner should be running around 50/60psi front/rear on her 700x23c tyres,
Well if you will go running round with these "size zero" models :blush:

Yup less believable at that extreme too.
 
Top Bottom