Can you see cruise holidays ever recovering ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
A slot on the news this morning saying the industry is worth 10 billion to our economy with lots of service businesses on shore currently losing out like taxi companies but the worst was the food supplier sitting waiting on 1 million quid coming in from supplies already delivered and is holding on to 9ver one and a half million quids worth of stock. It's probably not that easy but I reckon I would have taken advantage of the panic buying and got rid of that long ago. :eek:

dodgy

Considering the amount of pollution they're apparently responsible for I certainly hope recent events have truly sealed their fate tbh.

I came here to make the same point but you beat me to it. Here's a non paywalled alternative https://www.euronews.com/2019/06/10...-oxide-than-all-europe-s-cars-analysis-claims

The pollution is absolutely staggering, I memorised some of these facts when they first emerged to quote to friends/family about to go on cruises, they completely rejected it simply because it is so mind bendingly unbelievable!

I would't go on a cruise pre-CV, but I wouldn't go now if you paid me.

That photo of the on-board swimming pool is my idea of hell btw.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
A slot on the news this morning saying the industry is worth 10 billion to our economy with lots of service businesses on shore currently losing out like taxi companies but the worst was the food supplier sitting waiting on 1 million quid coming in from supplies already delivered and is holding on to 9ver one and a half million quids worth of stock. It's probably not that easy but I reckon I would have taken advantage of the panic buying and got rid of that long ago. :eek:
Slight risk of thread diversion, but it was on the news last week that catering suppliers are running out of storage space, especially freezers. They still have (or had) orders coming in to them, but with pubs, restaurants, etc being closed they can't ship it on.

Apparently they were getting rid of what they could to alternative sources, including food banks, but were having issues with the sheer amount of stock and the fact it was in catering sized packs - a pub might get through a 20kg pack of frozen chips in a few hours, but where is a normal shopper going to store that?

Considering the amount of pollution they're apparently responsible for I certainly hope recent events have truly sealed their fate tbh.

You and me together as well as any and all long haul holidays in the sun, delivered by aircraft!

Personally speaking I would have to be dragged kicking and screaming onto one of those super liners, the very thought of being locked up on one of those infernal vessels ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

The amount of pollution these and other large ocean going vessels and of course aircraft give out to the atmosphere honestly does beggar the question, why are they allowed to burn such fuels?

Slick

Guru
Slight risk of thread diversion, but it was on the news last week that catering suppliers are running out of storage space, especially freezers. They still have (or had) orders coming in to them, but with pubs, restaurants, etc being closed they can't ship it on.

Apparently they were getting rid of what they could to alternative sources, including food banks, but were having issues with the sheer amount of stock and the fact it was in catering sized packs - a pub might get through a 20kg pack of frozen chips in a few hours, but where is a normal shopper going to store that?
Not so much of a diversion as I think its relevant to the discussion.

I did think that the catering sizes would be an issue, as nobody would sit on that level of stock if they could get rid.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
You and me together as well as any and all long haul holidays in the sun, delivered by aircraft!

Personally speaking I would have to be dragged kicking and screaming onto one of those super liners, the very thought of being locked up on one of those infernal vessels ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

The amount of pollution these and other large ocean going vessels and of course aircraft give out to the atmosphere honestly does beggar the question, why are they allowed to burn such fuels?
Absolutely! As with so many things I guess they're allowed to do it because it satisfies demand from those who either don't know or don't care about the environmental impact of their frivilous pursuits and it drives the economy / makes politically-influential people richer :rolleyes:

Brandane

Legendary Member
I don't think the current mass market model of toxic overcrowding, diarrhoea and drunken brawling is sustainable. View attachment 520934

Smaller cruise ships have a better chance but they'll be expensive.
That scene looks just like my idea of hell :ohmy:. However @MarkF lists some good reasons for taking a cruise. Myself and the now ex fiancee took a 10 day cruise out of Newcastle last year with Fred Olsen, and I have to say she was the driving force with me being less keen - but I was pleasantly surprised. It was a more mature clientele though, which made for a better experience. We were actually quite young, at 56 and 57 :smile:.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
That scene looks just like my idea of hell :ohmy:. However @MarkF lists some good reasons for taking a cruise. Myself and the now ex fiancee took a 10 day cruise out of Newcastle last year with Fred Olsen, and I have to say she was the driving force with me being less keen - but I was pleasantly surprised. It was a more mature clientele though, which made for a better experience. We were actually quite young, at 56 and 57 :smile:.
I'm sure there are some very pleasant cruises. I was just commenting on the 5000 passenger monsters. We rented a flat on St Kitts last year. Every single day, five ships docked at breakfast time and disgorged up to twenty thousand cruise passengers on an island with a local population of about 40,000. They all sailed away at tea time and were replaced by another load next day. The entire economy was geared to extracting as much cash as possible from them.

I know several people who go on those 5,000 or more cruise ships, some of whom go year after year, some even going several times a year. For me that would be nothing more and nothing less than tortured hell.

Before she died, my late mother in law borrowed my most beloved to go on cruises with her and she loved the experiences, but these were on very select small ships such as those owned by Fred Olsen and SAGA where the care and attention to finite detail was of an all together different nature.

But, as for me, never, I hate airports, I hate crowds and I hate the very thought of being crushed inside some darned great floating gin palace!

MarkF

Guru
But, as for me, never, I hate airports, I hate crowds and I hate the very thought of being crushed inside some darned great floating gin palace!

From my one experience it is no more crushed than a hotel. I suppose were designed that way and my ship was a mid 1980's oldie.

screenman

Legendary Member
Although not a style of holiday I desire, I do care for the effect it will have on the people who depend on the industry to feed themselves and their families. Whilst I agree it is bad for the environment, out of interest what is anyone in here doing to create employment that is green, I know of one who is, perhaps others can chip in as I am certainly interested.

Top Bottom