Can you stretch winter shoes ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I recently bought some spesh winter cycling shoes off ebay , i got what i thinks a good price but as i got the "right " size for my feet they are not wide enough as i have wide feet what with wearing boots etc for years my feet have spread.They feel tight across the toe box and i get numb toes when riding.
Can i use a shoe stretcher on them or are they too solid to stretch, or should i cut my losses and sell them and get a thick pair of overshoes ?
$T2eC16h,!yEE9s5jHQS!BQ(h!zmpvg~~60_35.JPG

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
If they're made out of leather/something similar - I can't see a problem with trying to use a stretcher?

If it doesn't work then at least you can ebay them?

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
If there are carbon fibre/plastic reinforced sections over the part you want to stretch then it may not work but from looking at the photo it doesn't seem to be the case

PpPete

Legendary Member
If they are like some of the other Spesh shoes they used to be leather ... which is stretchable, but a few years ago they changed to an artifical material that isn't. :cry:

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

If they're made out of leather/something similar - I can't see a problem with trying to use a stretcher?

If it doesn't work then at least you can ebay them?
"synthetic " leather
If they are like some of the other Spesh shoes they used to be leather ... which is stretchable, but a few years ago they changed to an artifical material that isn't. :cry:
Sounds like they are not , guess i shall have to sell them.
Cheers for the quick replies.

potsy

Rambler
The usual advice is to go at least 1 size up when buying winter boots isn't it?
I suppose it was worth a go if the price was good, I know mine are 46 when my normal cycling shoes are 45's and they fit perfectly.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

The usual advice is to go at least 1 size up when buying winter boots isn't it?
I suppose it was worth a go if the price was good, I know mine are 46 when my normal cycling shoes are 45's and they fit perfectly.
yeah but for the price it was worth a punt , i had sold a load of stuff recently to pay for them .
Listed in the for sale section now .

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Oddly enough they fit if i take the insoles out but i am not sure if i can ride them like that, what about using some card to make a thin insole or would that defeat the object of a winter shoe ?

amaferanga

Veteran
Oddly enough they fit if i take the insoles out but i am not sure if i can ride them like that, what about using some card to make a thin insole or would that defeat the object of a winter shoe ?

I found the same with some Diadora winter boots I used to have. But if you remove the insole or use a very thin one then you lose a lot of the warmth from the boots so you would probably be just as warm or warmer with shoes and good thick overshoes. I've given up on winter boots anyway as they're heavy and more restrictive than shoes without really adding much in the way of warmth compared to normal cycling shoes and thick neoprene overshoes.

Top Bottom