Can you tackle a Victorian exam paper?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
A victorian exam paper that includes fighter planes in a question. šŸ˜

"All questions are taken from the 1859 exam paper, but you might notice that some of the answers reflect our contemporary understanding of certain topics. Answers may also include events from later than 1859, so keep your eyes peeled."

steverob

Guru
Got the first one wrong (the grammar question) and thought I was going to be in for a rough time, then managed to get all of the others correct to score 7 out of 8.

8/8 and wot @Beebo said.

Does that mean we qualify as Victorian Surgeons? Having undergone surgery last week I'm rather glad things have moved on, though I'm also pretty sure my Consultant, Mr S. would have scored well. There's something reassuringly professional about, well, professionals. You don't want your airline pilot or colorectal surgeon to sound bemused! :laugh:

Dolorous Edd

Lowest Common Multiple was a real blast from the past. I've been using maths at work for over 35 years, but can't remember encountering LCM once since school.

Interested in any real world applications from others...

Last edited:

mustang1

Guru
I bet the Victorians couldn't answer even one (well, correctly) question from this decade:

1. A computer has been taken over by an electronic computer. What is the difference between a computer and an electronic computer?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Lowest Common Multiple was a real blast from the past. I've been using maths at work for over 35 years, but can't remember encountering LCM once since school.

Interested in any real world applications from others...

Used to set traffic light timings in towns and cities. Used in RSA encryption which underpins much of the certificates on websites such as this one. Used in logistics. Lots of applications, but often hidden as itā€™s done by computers these days.

Last edited:

presta

Guru
I didn't get the St Petersburg or the music one.

I did my exams in a building that was a bit like a Victorian asylum: parquet flooring, and long echoey corridors with high ceilings where every sound reverberated. This reminds me of the year they had the builders in, and we worked to the accompanyment of a pneumatic drill in the basement below the exam room whilst the invigilator sheepishly mouthed "sorry":

1678125424689.png

Top Bottom