Canada

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I think bear attacks are very rare indeed and there are no bears on Vancouver island. You are more likely to be attacked by cougars than bears. ask the locals about bears and cougars when ever you stop. Don't leave food lying around, and make sure you have bear repellent spray. Always throw your rubbish away in the bins provided.

You probably won't see a single bear while you're there. I hope you have a lot of fun.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Vancouver Island is only a small part of the West coast of Canada.

I spent a fortnight in campsites in Washington State frequented by bears - black bears. The sites had bearproof boxes where you left your food and soaps/deodorants. Black bears tend to be easily frightened off by shouting and making yourself appear to be huge by flapping your arms around. This usually works unless you get between bear cubs and their mothers in which case you need to be able to run faster than your camping companions. I chose not to wild camp in known bear territory though quite a lot of Americans do so. They bag up their food and suspend it out of reach of bears quite some distance from their tents. They also cook well away from the tents.

IMG_20150704_210810661.jpg

I met two people who had encountered bears while out and about; a cyclist who met one in the middle of the road - it was startled and scrambled off into the woods next to the road and a camper who had a grizzly bear sniffing around her tent while she was inside - she suspects that her lip balm was the attractor. The bear lost interest and ambled off - I'd have lost my bowel contents.

Asking the locals can lead to answers like, 'There's no bears around here because the cougars ate them all'

There has been a bear fatality this year - a National Park employee was killed and partly eaten by a grizzly bear. The employee got between a mother and cubs and, furthermore against all employee rules, he wasn't carrying bear spray. The bear was captured and killed and the cubs have been placed into zoos.

Cougar attacks are even rarer than bear attacks.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I think bear attacks are very rare indeed and there are no bears on Vancouver island. You are more likely to be attacked by cougars than bears. ask the locals about bears and cougars when ever you stop. Don't leave food lying around, and make sure you have bear repellent spray. Always throw your rubbish away in the bins provided.

You probably won't see a single bear while you're there. I hope you have a lot of fun.
Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure that I saw a delightful black bear daintily picking blackberries in a ditch beside the road somewhere near Tofino. I closed the car window as a precaution. I could be mistaken.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure that I saw a delightful black bear daintily picking blackberries in a ditch beside the road somewhere near Tofino. I closed the car window as a precaution. I could be mistaken.

At certain times of the year, yes you could see them, it all depends on where you are, what time of year it is etc. In certain areas bear watching is something that tourists flock to see, that's why I said ask the locals because they know better than anyone. Basic rules and there is nothing to worry about. Act like a dummy and you could find yourself in trouble. But dont make the mistake of thinking that there are bears hiding behind every bush.

Asking about the possibilìty of seeing bears I presume because the Op is scarèd he might be attacked obviously means he thinks there are millions of them. There aren't. Follow the rules, ask the locals and dont do stupid things.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Spookily, a copy of a Canadian travel magazine dropped though the letter box this morning. An article in it said that there were 7000 black bears on Vancouver Island, together with a few grizzlies and Kermode "Spirit" bears. A canister of CS spray and a few well directed prayers should see you right.:okay:
bear spray.jpg

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering

What? They were eating raspberries?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
What? They were eating raspberries?
Blackberries. I'm not sure who they ate for the main course.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
cougar_range.gif

The little bit extending up into Illinois appears to stop at my house. Actually, I would say most of the suspected area could also be confirmed, but may be transient or occasional cats.

OP
OP
zealand

zealand

cougar_range.gif

The little bit extending up into Illinois appears to stop at my house. Actually, I would say most of the suspected area could also be confirmed, but may be transient or occasional cats.
Thanks guys , cycled in Romania a couple of years ago was scared of dogs let long a bear but west coast Canada looks so inviting , thanks again for all replies , will try and put up photos of Europe iv cycled

Top Bottom