Canal Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris Swift

Hi All

Coventry canal is one of the cycle routes suggested by google maps...... if I changed my factory fitted triban 5 tyres for the continental grand prix 4 seasons would I be ok cycling my road bike down the canal path, or would it be advised not too and stick to roads?

Should I still upgrade my tyres to these beasts?

Kies

The tyres are a worthwhile upgrade from stock Triban tyres imo.
Canals can be tough on wheels, hybrids and mtb's usually have a higher spoke count and are more robust.
I wouldn't personally take my road bike down canal paths on a regular basis ... But a one off along a good section of tow path would be ok.

OP
OP
Chris Swift

Chris Swift

The tyres are a worthwhile upgrade from stock Triban tyres imo.
Canals can be tough on wheels, hybrids and mtb's usually have a higher spoke count and are more robust.
I wouldn't personally take my road bike down canal paths on a regular basis ... But a one off along a good section of tow path would be ok.

Kewl thankyou for the advise.... my current tyres are 700 x 23 - should I stick with 23's or change to 25's - would 25's fit?

Kies

The latest thinking is 25c tyres increase the rolling resistance by a negligible amount, and increase the comfort slightly. Some CC folk have tried them and stayed with 25c

Top Bottom