Canal ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Is there a canal path route from normanton to Pudsey

You could try Sustrans for info on cycle routes
https://www.sustrans.org.uk/find-a-...rk?location=null&routetype=null&distance=null

CXRAndy

Guru
You could combine the river Aire and the Leeds Liverpool canal route to take you to Rodley bottom- up through Farsley.
There might be sections where you need to leave both because of obstructuon in the paths.

Only way is to try and see

I've lived around Pudsey and cycled as a kid along parts of the canal but not towards Normanton

Is there a canal path route from normanton to Pudsey

You'll need to combine parts of the Aire/Calder navigation and the Leeds/Liverpool. If this is a route you want to do regularly I'd recommend trying the route first. The towpath swaps sides several times and it can be confusing sometimes which side to stay on.

Some points -
  • I'd recommend fatter tyres with some grip at the minimum, the surface has been improved in places but in others it's still a track and can be muddy after rain.
  • There is a steep staircase as you approach Leeds outskirts. https://goo.gl/maps/QpqCZsvWyZkCvBfJ6 . There have been improvements on that bridge but I've not been down there in while.
You could combine the river Aire and the Leeds Liverpool canal route to take you to Rodley bottom- up through Farsley.
There might be sections where you need to leave both because of obstructuon in the paths.

Only way is to try and see

I've lived around Pudsey and cycled as a kid along parts of the canal but not towards Normanton

I was actually going to suggest leaving the LL much earlier and using the City Cycle Connect route which will take the OP much closer to Pudsey.

Edit

Look up the Transpennine Trail as well, it's a more direct route to Aire/Calder and it goes right near Normanton.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
You'll need to combine parts of the Aire/Calder navigation and the Leeds/Liverpool. If this is a route you want to do regularly I'd recommend trying the route first. The towpath swaps sides several times and it can be confusing sometimes which side to stay on.

Some points -
  • I'd recommend fatter tyres with some grip at the minimum, the surface has been improved in places but in others it's still a track and can be muddy after rain.
  • There is a steep staircase as you approach Leeds outskirts. https://goo.gl/maps/QpqCZsvWyZkCvBfJ6 . There have been improvements on that bridge but I've not been down there in while.

I was actually going to suggest leaving the LL much earlier and using the City Cycle Connect route which will take the OP much closer to Pudsey.

Edit

Look up the Transpennine Trail as well, it's a more direct route to Aire/Calder and it goes right near Normanton.

I've still got family in the Leeds area. I take my hat off to those who regularly cycle these road routes. In the 20 years since I left the area, the times I revisit the traffic volume has increased exponentially, so many aggressive drivers.

I would not take any of those routes, for pollution and safety concerns.

I've still got family in the Leeds area. I take my hat off to those who regularly cycle these road routes. In the 20 years since I left the area, the times I revisit the traffic volume has increased exponentially, so many aggressive drivers.

I would not take any of those routes, for pollution and safety concerns.

Well to be fair only the City Cycle Connect route I suggested is next to a road (mostly segregated cycleway), the rest has some very picturesque scenary. Just as an experiment I put Normanton <> Pudsey into cyclestreet and the quiet option (yellow) it gives is exactly the route I describe! The busy route though is not one I'd do either. I think the main thing with Leeds cycling, especially if its going to be a regular journey, is to try the routes on a quiet day and be prepared to adjust it.

Untitled.png

DRM

Guru
That’s going to be one hell of a commute, not the easiest places to link together

Top Bottom