Canary Islands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
ah right, so that is the going rate? just sounds a lot compared to other trips.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
well yes that is the issue, do I get a package deal? (when I do a test package booking, I can't seem to add extra baggage eg bikes, onto the flights unlike when you book just a flight). So want to go out there.

YIMan

We went with Jet2 Holidays (from East Midlands) - about £300 each for 11 nights half board. I hired a bike out there (Specialized Tarmac) from Revolution, and have used Renner bikes (Merida bikes) before too.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
Good price! looks like a bargain. I'm in London though, so airports are a bit far. How did you find the bike hire as you hear mixed reviews. thanks

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Hi there, I'm thinking of going somewhere warm and sunny this Feb with the bike and it seems that the Canary Islands are my best bet. With several to choose from, does anyone have any experience cycling there before I start hitting the heavy research? I really enjoyed the South of France and Mallorca looks good too, but they don't get nice and warm till April time.

Would I be better off waiting till April/May as I know that the pro's like to train in, among other places, the Canary Islands, and I don't want to be huffing and puffing my away around while the Pro's whizz past. Are the roads and the surfaces alright? Nice scenery? Just that they are just volcanic lumps of rock, windy ones at that. I think I;m putting myself off and want to go back to France :smile: Thanks
There's always Australia. I can guarantee you it will be warm in February :laugh:.

jay clock

Massive member
We went with Jet2 Holidays (from East Midlands) - about £300 each for 11 nights half board. I hired a bike out there (Specialized Tarmac) from Revolution, and have used Renner bikes (Merida bikes) before too.
Renner bikes are good.. not a fancy shop but well maintained bikes and nice guy

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
i've been to maspalomas (gran canaria) in feb and is usually 20 degrees and you see lots of riders on the smooth roads around the coast.

i did a helicopter trip and the hills would be testing. i looked into hiring a bike but as it was my honeymoon the wife wasnt a fan. http://www.free-motion.net/en/roadriding-bike-rental-gran-canaria this company rents out di2 equiqed cannondales....

i've also been to caleta de fuste on fuertaventura but personally go gran canaria.
Sky often train on tenerife as it has the highest mountains of the islands.....

BearPear

Veteran
Mr BP can confirm LZ30 is indeed a sublime ride! He has rented a couple of times from (Duncan?) at Revolution Bikes in PDC after the farce that was trying to get his bike into a bike case to fly his own steed out. Great bike shop, excellent service.

Another vote for Lanzarote, my hol there in '09 was the best cycling I've ever done.

Yup it's windy, yup your going home in a jar if you bail into the lava.

Yup expect some flats as they use crushed lava as aggregate.

BUT, the roads are awesome, (on the whole).

The respect from motorists makes a refreshing change, and the scenery can be damed spectacular.

Also you can pretend you're doing the Ironman and the messages on the road are meant for you ;)

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
Cool thanks, i am off in May, all booked and paid for. Looking fwd to getting on the bike and putting some miles in. I could post my rides on here if anyone interested?

Top Bottom