Cancellara & the hour record

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raindog

er.....
I'm getting confused - I thought the bike had to be a standard steel diamond frame similiar to the one Merckx rode. What difference could it make?

iLB

Hello there
raindog said:
I'm getting confused - I thought the bike had to be a standard steel diamond frame similiar to the one Merckx rode. What difference could it make?

going from full carbon with aero wheelset, to the oldskool version

bauldbairn

raindog said:
Sorry if this has been posted before, but Obree has abandoned his deam of trying again for the hour record.
http://www.bikeradar.com/racing/article/graeme-obree-dumps-hour-record-plans-23985

Cheers for the link - read a similar piece in the Scottish press last week, without the comments from fans/cyclists.

Hope Obree finds the mental strength to give the record another go - it would be a great end to an epic journey.

He's still a hero regardless! :rofl:

Dave5N

Über Member
Graeme is the nearest thing I have to a hero. He is certainly one of the few people in the world who is like what I think a true hero should be. Wrong term? He is an awesome person.

I wanted a hollywood ending, and that won't happen. Realistically he is at the upper end of the physical range now.

His almighty effort to win the hour THE DAy AFTER an attempt is mind-boggling
Does he have the physical capacity now? I doubt it. He gave so much.

bauldbairn

I'll have to make a point of seeing the film that was made about him, the Flying Scotsman(it must be out on DVD now). I alway's feared it wouldn't be a true representation.

I remembered the whole story as it unfurled originally(being of a certain age). How he overcame his demons, designing and building his own bike - the legal battles over the use of the bike etc,etc.

I agree(Dave5N) he's a true hero(awesome person) in every sense of the word. :rofl:

I do fear the sands of time are running out on the record attempt. Wouldn't it be the perfect end to the whole story though? :biggrin:

raindog

er.....
Yes, I'd like to see that film.

Trouble with the hour record he's getting on a bit - over 40 I believe?

edit
sorry - just noticed bauldbairn has said more or less the same thing. In fact, I've just checked the article, he's 44. Too old surely?

Many people take up new sports in their better years, but after turning 78, one woman decided to take up weightlifting.

Ten years later, Andora Quinby has smashed a world record.

She talked to Growing Bolder from her home in Pennsylvania about holding the world record in her age group for dead lifting 100 pounds.

Andora, who is the oldest female competing in the International All-Around Weightlifting Association, says she hopes her accomplishments inspire other seniors to get active.

"if a woman of 78 can take up weightlifting then I don't see Graeme being to old if his mental health can get to a strong enough point to do it and also the conviction in his heart."

Top Bottom