cancelled Sky+ subscription

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peanut

A somewhat rash decision but there it is done. No more mindless drivel or searching the listings all night cursing the lack of decent, drama, docs and programs for those of us with a greater than single figure IQ that TV producers assume we all have.

I'm already regretting the lack of pause to enable quick excursions for tea and a pee:angry:

Swopping one lot of drivel for another . ahem I don't suppose anyone has any Callan do they ? DVD VHS books ...
christ I might actually have to start reading and listening to music again:biggrin:

scots_lass

I love my Sky+. Don't know what I would do without it. Can't stand adverts so always tape what I want to watch and then fast forward thru' them. Hope you don't get too many withdrawal pangs!

Cheddar George

oober member
One of the few "gadgets" we have bought in the last 2 years that i actually find useful. Until i got Sky+ i never realised that you could watch a one hour episode of "House" in 40 minutes !

I will be cancelling my Sky sports subscription when the test match is over.

Jane Smart

The Queen
Geeze peanut, what got into you?? :becool:

I got sky+ just this year and now don't know how I managed so long without it!

I hardly ever watch tv except when I am ironing, so try and record something good to watch when I am doing that. ;)

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Always annoyed the hell out of me when they launched anytime and it would crash all the time and skip recordings. Upgrading to a much larger HD is a major plus though.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
had Sky+ and canx to go back to Virgin when they launched the V+ service. Don't know about Sky+ now but V+ was a definite improvement then. Lost some Sky channels when the two companies fell out, they're back now. Only time we have any recording errors are the Sky channels. Not sure if this is an error or Sky are deliberately messing with service supply to Virgin customers.

I do muse about all this at times though, looking at how much we spend on media services. It's gone from TV licence + phone to all sorts and not convinced of value in it. Personally I could get by with my mobile and broadband, my brother in law has no home phone. I could quite happily skip the TV, terrestrial and cable, the licence, and the home phone.

OP
OP
P

peanut

daft isn't it ! Mrs dry roasted and I both have 600 free minutes a month on our mobiles. I use approx 3 minutes a month ie

'Hi can you pick up some spring water please ..ok thanks' disconnect 12 seconds ;)

Mrs uses lots of hers(more rabbit than Sainsburys)

I then pay £65.00 a quarter for a land line we never use save for the broadband Grrr

MacB

I know the only reason we've got the home line is, with cable, everything is one line into house. If we reduce the service we get then we lose the bundled discount and we'd pay more for less!!!! crazy world.

marinyork

MacB said:
I know the only reason we've got the home line is, with cable, everything is one line into house. If we reduce the service we get then we lose the bundled discount and we'd pay more for less!!!! crazy world.

The reason you pay for the home line and it is bundled as such is the landline is one of the few very profitable bits of their business whereas the tv part of virgin media is more or less a irrelevence in terms of profit. Unfortunately most people want tv and as virgin broadband doesn't need a phone line they tie the phone line into tv or bundles. Historically a similar thing has happened elsewhere with ADSL trying to tie people into phone lines which can be far more profitable than the other services.

MacB

bit like Frankie Boyles joke about Baird and dour Scots. When congratulated on inventing television his response would be 'Aye, but there's f*ck all on'

PaulB

Legendary Member
Cheddar George said:
I will be cancelling my Sky sports subscription when the test match is over.

You may not have to. I rang up to cancel ours when the football season finished (but be prepared for a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong wait on the phone - they don't like answering the cancellation line!) and they told me straight, "We're not going to let you do that, sir. If you don't cancel it, we'll give it to you for free until October 1st"!!! Result! I got to keep it but don't have to pay for it. Seriously, go into negotiations knowing they have to keep their advertisers sweet with subscriber numbers and you may get a result in your favour too.

marinyork

PaulB said:
You may not have to. I rang up to cancel ours when the football season finished (but be prepared for a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong wait on the phone - they don't like answering the cancellation line!) and they told me straight, "We're not going to let you do that, sir. If you don't cancel it, we'll give it to you for free until October 1st"!!! Result! I got to keep it but don't have to pay for it. Seriously, go into negotiations knowing they have to keep their advertisers sweet with subscriber numbers and you may get a result in your favour too.

The other offer is to give it to people for sixth months at half price. People who don't even have this can get it. I'm not sure how cheesed off EPSN subscribers are going to impact on this as sky make money on selling EPSN on sky.

Sky have consistently lagged behind the far superior BBC in their output.

The sight of Venessa Feltz in a skin-tight cossie trying to fit through a hole in a bit of foam is without doubt one of mankinds greatest televisual moments.

byegad

Legendary Member
Try a Digital TV recorder, same ability to record and watch later and pause live TV while you take a telephone call. You can't rewind live TV but if you record all you want to watch so what?

And no subscription. We use the money we saved to buy DVDs of old TV and Films.

Top Bottom