Cannock chase.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

0bsirus

Thinking about planning a weekday maybe two day trip to Cannock chase, anybody ever rode the perpouse built trails there?

What they like? Do they get busy?

Are they gory runs are or the hour or two runs?

Might turn it into a day long Epic explore

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Im getting to be a bit of a regular over the chase. I have only ever done follow the dog (easier trail), as Im not a great climber and they climbes on the monkey trail (harder) are, erm... much harder.

Its difficult to say how difficult they are as it really depends on your skill level. To start with I found it tough, now I still finds it a challenge but not scary as I know it so well now. Although I haven't MTB anywhere else I have seen lots of videos and I would say if you are happy doing Sherwood there wont be anything on the dog to upset you, but some of the black sections on the monkey may be worth a reccie before attacking them.

This page tells of any sections that are closed...

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/INFD-9FJCXA

And you can see videos of most sections here...

https://www.youtube.com/user/ChaseTrailsUK/videos

Also worthy of note, "Son of chainslapper" is now open, a loverly bermy rollercoster that's over far too quickly!

Does it get busy? Oh yeah! A dry weekend will be busy, on a dry bank holiday Monday it will be heaving! A mix of people from XC racers to people with there Halfords £99 bikes.

Dave W

Easily 2 days worth of great trails. The waymarked trails are fantastic but there's a lot of forest to explore too.

Monkey is a lot harder than the dog but isn't that bad, you can easily do both in 2 hours if you don't hang around. The blue route is a nice gentle bimble with a couple of long climbs.

If you only want 2 hours then no problem, if you want to smash it all day then that's also possible. As above, weekends the trails are like a train and I tend to avoid them and go in the week.

If you need to know any more give us a shout, I virtually live there these days.

TeeShot

Veteran
You'll enjoy it

Decent café, good bike shop, plenty of parking and some fun trails

I've been taking my lads and their friends and families there for a few years and it's always an enjoyable day out

Compared with other places, it's not as remote or scenic as the Lakes or Scotland but it gets you out and makes you smile

Have fun

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
A note on parking... Its £3 (or £3.50) at Birches valley which is the start of follow the dog, or a lot of people park for free on any of the carparks around the chase, or Marquis drive which is just a short fire road ride down to the trail.

Top Bottom