Cannock....it's awesome...oh, wait...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Went down to look after my Mum who has been in hospital recently, and took the Mojo with me with a view to a quick blast of the Chase. Started off alright, ...this was my second ride with the new clutch XT mech, and was really pinning it. It started to go a bit wrong in "Twist and Shout" where I hit one tree on the left, pinged into another on the right and ended up shoulder slamming a third tree.

Oh well, serves me right for putting new 777 mm bars on I suppose. Next, my nemesis, the boardwalk after the rock garden. I rode straight off it the first time I did it and sprung a rib and my garmin because I was in the wrong gear and not carrying enough speed. Next time I rode it fine, but this time hit it a bit too fast and it was so slimy my front tyre washed out and I simply stacked into the tree on the left as you start it as the bike went sideways from under me.

So, with peat and bog water up to my kneepads I rode on and got to the start of "High Voltage". As I started to pedal I changed to the big ring to hear an almighty crunch and stopped dead. The new rear mech was wrapped round the cassette, sheared across the X part of the XT logo, with the jockey cage tangled in the spokes. I had to split the chain to disentangle it and took a load of links out to try and singelspeed my way home. So, that's sixty quid down the tubes. (Chain Reaction have an offer of 10% off components, I had a £5 voucher for a £50 spend and a Paypal spend 40 get a tenner back offer, so allthat was used up to get a new mech and chain for less than £40 !) It was a beautiful day too. I'd even survived "The Cobbles of Death" and was absolutely dialled.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
I had a ride just like that... off on twist and shout, lost my sense of direction on the boardwalk and went off piste to the left.

I didnt loose my rear mech, but found someone with a busted rear mech that i helped them singlespeed.

I blame the werewolf.

Jody

Stubborn git
I changed to the big ring to hear an almighty crunch and stopped dead. The new rear mech was wrapped round the cassette, sheared across the X part of the XT logo, with the jockey cage tangled in the spokes.

Sounds like one of those days but at least you weren't hurt.

Could I ask what you felt caused the mech failure? I have just bought an XT clutch mech I was intending on running with a triple for now.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Try it with no suspension and cantilevers! I was once worthy of a, "Wow, radical dude" from one young lad after clearing one of the rock section on my old Saracen. I just tried to look cool and didn't say that I had tried to stop, get off and walk but the crappy brakes had only started to slow me down once I was through (in a state of high terror) the section.

Sounds like you had one of those rides! I have found Swinnertons useful for ride saving running repairs before now! Do you get up to the Chase often?

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
I had a ride just like that... off on twist and shout, lost my sense of direction on the boardwalk and went off piste to the left.

I didnt loose my rear mech, but found someone with a busted rear mech that i helped them singlespeed.

I blame the werewolf.
Was that on Friday morning?

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'

Could I ask what you felt caused the mech failure? I have just bought an XT clutch mech I was intending on running with a triple for now.
I'd love to know so I can prevent it in the future. Could have been a chain that was too short, or a wrong moment in the suspension travel. I've broken a chain in similar circumstances a while ago, but nothing this catastrophic.

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Try it with no suspension and cantilevers! I was once worthy of a, "Wow, radical dude" from one young lad after clearing one of the rock section on my old Saracen. I just tried to look cool and didn't say that I had tried to stop, get off and walk but the crappy brakes had only started to slow me down once I was through (in a state of high terror) the section.

Sounds like you had one of those rides! I have found Swinnertons useful for ride saving running repairs before now! Do you get up to the Chase often?
I don't get there very often as I live in West Yorks, but if I'm visiting Mum I try to fake the bike. Friday was my third visit since the summer.

Motozulu

Über Member
Unlucky mate - I could have told you that those bars would be too big!

a good way to judge it is the little ramp right at the start of twist and shout. When I got the Chief it came with 780's on, I tried to ride through the 2 trees on the ramp, clipped both bars and cut em down to 750mm, which is fine for Cannock. There are a couple of even tighter squeezes on the Monkey but you can do it.
I mangled a XT+ mech on the cliffs (was lucky it was a flat bit) but that was due to the bloody maxle coming loose on the rear wheel.

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'

I made a bit of a schoolboy error by the looks of things. I forgot the front was a 38 26, and based capacity calculation on a 36 big ring. I had fitted a GS mech, max capacity 35, and my setup with an 11-36 is actually 37. It only takes one shifting error to trash it apparently.

So, I've ordered a new SGS mech and chain, only to discover whe I fitted it that it rides horribly over the third biggest cog in the cassette. You only notice it's knackered when you try and run a chain over it. So, new cassette ordered as well. Total Bill £68 :sad:

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Top Bottom