Cannondale CAAD 10/8- which to go for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iainw

Iain
I am debating between the CAAD 8 and CAAD 10. I'm not sure if the upgrade to the 10 frame is worth the extra £300? I hear excellent things about the CAAD 10, and haven't seen much coverage for the CAAD 8, although reviews are generally good.

I don't race but during summer I aim for at least 100 miles a week on club rides etc. Just wondered if anyone has experience of either and whether the difference justifies the price, particularly for my un-competitive riding?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Cannondale describe the difference on their website:

CAAD10
The CAAD10 is a thoroughbred racer. Its geometry is virtually identical to our SuperSix EVO for razor-sharp cornering and aggressive race positioning.

CAAD8
The CAAD8 shares the proven race geometry of its more expensive brethren (The CAAD10 - I am adding this for clarification, not part of the original quote) but with a slightly taller head tube (+1.5 mm) for a more relaxed riding position.

Look up the geometry charts and compare the measurements between the same size bikes of both models.

I would buy the CAAD10.

OP
OP
iainw

iainw

Iain
That's an expensive 1.5mm! That said it seems to be 100g lighter, which I'm not convinced I'll notice in the real world. Tempting to just get the 8 and use the saved money to upgrade the wheels...

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I believe they have got it wrong, unit wise, on the geometry chart it is 15mm, i.e. 1.5cm not 1.5 mm. They must have made a typo on the other page.

VamP

Banned
It is down to you what premium you put on one of the best alloy frames made versus an average one.

I'm with Rob3rt tho.

CAAD 8 Tiagra gets some good reviews, but wheels could be better. I had a Synapse Carbon Ultegra which I recently sold and bought a Ghost Race 4900 and pocketed a grand, weirdly I prefer the Ghost as its sportier.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
CAAD 8 Tiagra gets some good reviews, but wheels could be better. I had a Synapse Carbon Ultegra which I recently sold and bought a Ghost Race 4900 and pocketed a grand, weirdly I prefer the Ghost as its sportier.

No wonder, the Ghost is "race" geometry, the Synapse is pussy (read: sportive) geometry!

Provided it fit, I would take a Cannondale aluminium frame over a Ghost any day.

VamP

Banned
TBH though, even the CAAD8 is an above average frame.

Not above average enough ^_^

No wonder, the Ghost is "race" geometry, the Synapse is pussy (read: sportive) geometry!

Provided it fit, I would take a Cannondale aluminium frame of a Ghost any day.
Fair comment my fine fellow.... Cannondales are great frames, problem is everyone has got one, or a Trek or a Specialized... forget all this American stuff, GO GERMAN people!

I have a CAAD10 DA and it is a double awesome piece of kit.

Every CAAD frame has always been very highly rated, and each new generation CAAD has always advanced things further still.

German scherman's what I say, (although they're all built in the Far East anyway). Cube/Ghost etc are just the new Focus IMO. Good bikes in some respects, but having owned three carbon Focus bikes, (FWIW each one had a new frame replaced under warranty), I'll stick with my Cannondale every day and twice on Sunday's.

Horses for course an all that, but I'm VERY happy with my CAAD10.

German scherman's what I say. Cube/Ghost etc are just the new Focus IMO. Good bikes in some respects, but having owned three carbon Focus bikes, (FWIW each one had a new frame replaced under warranty), I'll stick with my Cannondale every day and twice on Sunday's.

American Schmerican is what I say.... what have they ever done for us? Fast food and crap TV (sorry if anyone from USA reading this!), Nah, I had a USA built Cannondale MTB back in the day, and a carbon Synapse, really good and all that, but all a bit boring for my liking.. keep it European, Cube, Pinarello etc is the FUTURE!

Top Bottom