Cannondale Caad12 frame issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thunderlips76

climbs for cake
Hi there,

Just had my Caad12 in for a service. Same old on a caad bottom bracket creaking. I’ve had the bb30 replaced with a ninja bottom bracket to run shimano cranks. It was fine for about 1000km but started creaking again. New bearings fitted and the same issues. Back in to the LBS and they couldn’t figure it out so a totally new unit was fitted. This didn’t solve the issues and now the mechanic has said that the bottom bracket she’ll on the frame is at fault. Apparent the shell has malformed and “ovalized”. So my frames basically dead. Anyone had a similar issue. I’m hoping that Cannondale’s lifetime warranty will get me a new frame. Issue there is that Cannondale no longer make the Caad12. So I’ve no idea.

Ajax Bay

Guru

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sorry @thunderlips76 looks like you've been caught out by this work of the devil.
I wouldn't think our friend is into engineering up a new BB from scratch. In any case he says the shell in the frame as I understand it and has ovalized so wouldn't do him much good anyway.
In the first instance dig out that receipt and see if Cannondale will stand by their frame guarantee. I seem to remember others on here have had issues resolved.

Svendo

Guru
Other options to try (if LBS not done so already) is to use bearing retainer compound (loctite 641, medium strength so undoable, best used with an activator to ensure bonding) with a ninja type screw-together Pressfit to Shimano converter BB. The other option is to have an English Thread insert permanently bonded in, I think FSA make them. This needs caution to ensure it’s square with the frame.
My PF30 frame has a wheels manufacturing BB which is bonded and doesn’t creak too much but is chewing through bearings quite rapidly. Could be due to winter commuting so I’ll be removing and refitting and replacing with more sealed than stock Enduro bearings.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Other options to try (if LBS not done so already) is to use bearing retainer compound (loctite 641, medium strength so undoable, best used with an activator to ensure bonding) with a ninja type screw-together Pressfit to Shimano converter BB. The other option is to have an English Thread insert permanently bonded in, I think FSA make them. This needs caution to ensure it’s square with the frame.
My PF30 frame has a wheels manufacturing BB which is bonded and doesn’t creak too much but is chewing through bearings quite rapidly. Could be due to winter commuting so I’ll be removing and refitting and replacing with more sealed than stock Enduro bearings.
Blimey, never had this old rolocks with square taper BB s.
I think you'd do better by trying to hang all this onto Cannondale.
Meanwhile here's a bit of the Charlie Daniels number:

View: https://youtu.be/X9uk9IcoQ0w

Last edited:
Top Bottom