Cannondale Caad8 105 or Specialized Tarmac Tiagra?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

I am looking into getting my first 'proper' road bike and have between £1,000 - £1,500 to spend. I am torn between two bikes - the aluminium Cannondale Caad 8 2012 with 105 groupset or the carbon Specialized tarmac 2012 with Tiagra groupset. They are priced £1,049 and £1,400 respectively.

I guess the question is: is it better to get a good aluminium frame with a better (105) groupset, or for £350 more get a fully carbon bike with a lower spec (Tiagra) groupset? Would the overall bike weight actually work out about the same given these two factors? Which would be the better bike? I am going to be using this purely as a 'best bike' for long weekend rides / sportives and possibly some races.

If anyone has ridden both of these bikes or has any opinions it would be good to hear them. I like the idea of getting a carbon bike but not if the better specced Caad will actually be a better ride. I would also have considered the Caad10 but unfortunately could not live with the awful team colours paint job!

Thanks in advance

it's a no-brainer - if you have the budget, then go for the Tarmac. You won't notice the difference between groupsets, but you will almost certainly notice the difference in ride between the Tarmac and the Caad8 frameset. Both are good frames, but if I was choosing between the two, there would be no contest.

Top Bottom