Cannondale Garmin helmets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vesalius73

Hi all, first post. Have turned back to cycling in last year or so and really getting into it. Have always loved the cannondale cypher helmet and eventually purchased one last week after plenty of reviewing and reading.

Anyway, watching the tour this week got me thinking and worrying. If Cannondale Garmin have their own helmet brand, why do they were POC?

I'm concerned now that the cypher I've bought doesn't have the safety I thought it did when the company don't even have their cyclists wearing them.

Can anyone enlighten me and/or put my mind at ease?

Thanks

Milkfloat

An Peanut
In my opinion, the helmet that a pro racing team use has less to do with safety and more to do with sponsorship.

OP
OP
V

Vesalius73

Yes, good shout, never thought of that.

I just don't want to use an unsafe(ish) helmet that even the people who's name is on them don't use. Your comment makes sense though. Thanks

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Hi all, first post. Have turned back to cycling in last year or so and really getting into it. Have always loved the cannondale cypher helmet and eventually purchased one last week after plenty of reviewing and reading.

Anyway, watching the tour this week got me thinking and worrying. If Cannondale Garmin have their own helmet brand, why do they were POC?

I'm concerned now that the cypher I've bought doesn't have the safety I thought it did when the company don't even have their cyclists wearing them.

Thanks
Can you post a picture of a cannondale garmin helmet?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
In my opinion, the helmet that a pro racing team use has less to do with safety and more to do with sponsorship.
At the risk of another helmet debate, I agree totally with ^

If Cannondale ceased sponsorship of the team and Trek took it over they'd not be riding Cannondale bikes anymore. Maybe a similar financial change has happened wirh their helmets - never pay that much attention to them TBH.

If.it is comfy and you're happy with the look of it then I'd forget any further concerns.

Thanks

Where to start

Firstly a team will hava a large number of sponsors, their main sponsor gets the strip, another the shoes, another the sunglasses, another the helmet. In addition there may be overall sponsors that take priority.

Look at Froome in his team strip and the yellow jersey and see how the sponsorship from the same rider has changed

Here is a list of Cannondale-Garmin sponsors

Cannondale also do clothing, saddles, water bottles, and others yet are sponsored to use others

So the problem is not that they don't trust their own helmets, but that (as above) they are being paid to wear another

Secondly the "safety" aspect

This is open to argument, but if you have decided to wear one then the most important things are fit and comfort, if you are happy with yur helmet with these tow parameters then fine

Then there is the safety standard.

The EN1078 required for European sale is worthless and not accepted by many organisations as being adequate. Cannondale are unhelpful as they avoid the subject with the claim:

Complies with one or more of the following standards USA CPSC, CE EN1078, AS/NZ 2063

Cypher: top of Cannondale's line, a road helmet with long rear snag points. The dual density foam is used to lower weight and open up larger vents. With some trim and feature upgrades from the Teramo, it retails for $200.

Cannondale says their helmets meet the appropriate standard for the market where they are sold, so we would not buy one of their European models that was certified only to the CEN standard

http://www.bhsi.org/helmet15.htm#ne...et Safety Institute is even less helpful[/url

OP
OP
V

Vesalius73

Brilliant posts. I've been a dufus perhaps as I didn't think about the sponsorship but glad I've thought about the safety aspect now.

I did a very fast descent last weekend and it's only when the exhilaration had passed did I start to wonder about the consequences especially the head aspect.

Without reading the EN details or perhaps British Standard information you think if a shop sells it in the UK it must be fine.

Think I'll run with it as I love the colours and fit

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 18
As helmets go it probably is fine for what you need, but at high speed, beware of the "snag points"

EN1078 supersedes British Standards, and is the most basic level for sale in Europe

Basically each test involves the helmet being tested against various impacts and seeing how it performs.

The shape of the surface hit and the speed (energy) differ with the standard

The "theory" is that if a helmet passes a higher impact test it will offer more protection than one that does not pass that impact

EN 1078 offers some of the most limited and easiest tests so for that reason is considered by some to be inadequate.

CPSC is the American equivalent and AS/NZ 2063 s the Australian equivalent and both are tougher than EN1078

What may be reassuring is that this helmet is on sale in both countries with little modification.. so must be capable of passing these tests

OP
OP
V

Vesalius73

As helmets go it probably is fine for what you need, but at high speed, beware of the "snag points"

EN1078 supersedes British Standards, and is the most basic level for sale in Europe

Basically each test involves the helmet being tested against various impacts and seeing how it performs.

The shape of the surface hit and the speed (energy) differ with the standard

The "theory" is that if a helmet passes a higher impact test it will offer more protection than one that does not pass that impact

EN 1078 offers some of the most limited and easiest tests so for that reason is considered by some to be inadequate.

CPSC is the American equivalent and AS/NZ 2063 s the Australian equivalent and both are tougher than EN1078

What may be reassuring is that this helmet is on sale in both countries with little modification.. so must be capable of passing these tests

Thanks. Your explanation has been great and something to consider for future purposes.

Top Bottom