Cannondale Synapse frame size decision

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S 49

Dear All,

Me: age=65 yrs.: Ht. =172 cm. : inside leg=79 cm. nominal frame size for road bikes indicated = 54 cm.

I aim to get into longish distance cycling + some moderate speed cycling as a work-out. Have opted to go for a 'more comfortable' road bike.

The man in the shop has suggested a 58cm. frame, saying that I look OK on it. I'm inclined to go for 56 cm. - somehow 58 cm. seems big. The frame size range for this bike is 48, 51, 54, 56, 58, 61 cm. Given that I am ( I would reckon) less than average height, 58 cm. again seems too big. (assuming punters for this bike will have similar cycling aspirations)

Which size should I plump for? (given that the true answer will only emerge after a few weeks of cycling). Would I notice the difference anyway?

Cheers,

Chris

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
i would go for a 54 personally , i am 170 cm with a 77.5 cm inside leg and i really should be on a 52/53 although i have a 54 for commuting albeit with an 80 mm stem .

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
FWIW, (probably nothing TBH), I'm 6' 5" and ride a CAAD10 in a 60cm.

Don't forget that C'dales are often marginally longer in the top tube than other brands as well.

vickster

Legendary Member
That being the case, a 54cm would work for someone 5'8 (172cm?)...I am just under 5'10, 33"-34" inside leg, ride 54cm

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
5'10 and a little, 178cm and take a 30" leg trouser (75cm leg?). Do they, perchance, have a 2014 58cm in the shop they need to get rid of because I'm riding a 56cm and considering shortening the stem. This is me on the bike, although not fully side on and gurning for some reason.

I'm about 5 10 and would go for a 54 too i reckon.

DDE

I'm 5' 9" and got fitted for one in Evans on Saturday.

I tried both the 54 and 56, and have gone for the 54.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm about 188cm and a 58 was too big, got a 56 and that is plenty
Whereas at 186 cm (6' 1"), I ride 58 cm, and find 56 cm too small! That's with an 11 cm stem. I can also ride 60 cm bikes but need a 9 cm stem.

My 178 cm (5' 10") friend rides 56 cm.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Sizing by height and inside leg again. Nobody seems to grasp the flaws of this

OP: Test ride

RAYMOND

Sizing by height and inside leg again. Nobody seems to grasp the flaws of this
OP: Test ride

Correct.. I have 2 medium size bikes yet most online size charts I look at state I should ride a small frame .
Being 5'7 and short inside leg 29 inch.
Yet I have no problems riding my medium sized bikes.
Then again I don't ride with my seat post sky high.

Top Bottom