Cannondale Synapse vs CAAD - first road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smile208

Hello everyone. I just sold my Cannondale Quick Five - fitness bike and trying to buy decent first road bike ~1000$.
I am looking for a used, comfortable endurance bike. I would like to use it on longer distances. I made some research and Synapse should be what I am looking for.

I have found 2 offers, both $700

1. Cannondale CAAD8 with Tiagra, excellent condition
2. Cannondale Synapse with 105, good condition (I am not sure about production year here, the owner says it's 2016. Maybe you can help me with that)

I am kind of Cannondale fanboy, but maybe there are some other options worth checking? Like Specialized Allez etc?

Attachments

• ksnip_20220425-133639.png
    ksnip_20220425-133639.png
    444.5 KB · Views: 26
  • ksnip_20220425-133831.png
    ksnip_20220425-133831.png
    246.4 KB · Views: 26

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am kind of Cannondale fanboy, but maybe there are some other options worth checking? Like Specialized Allez etc?

There are lots of others that you could consider, but why bother when you already have 2 great bikes you could choose between?

I'm still riding my 20 year old CAAD5 (<-- the red bike over there) and have never felt the need to hunt around for anything better. I'm sure that you'd love either of those 2 Cannondales as long as they fit you properly.

Twilkes

Guru
There are lots of others that you could consider, but why bother when you already have 2 great bikes you could choose between?

I'm still riding my 20 year old CAAD5 (<-- the red bike over there) and have never felt the need to hunt around for anything better. I'm sure that you'd love either of those 2 Cannondales as long as they fit you properly.

Out of interest, what is still 'original' parts from 20 years ago, and what did you upgrade when you replaced it, as opposed to buying the same again?

Hello everyone. I just sold my Cannondale Quick Five - fitness bike and trying to buy decent first road bike ~1000$.
I am looking for a used, comfortable endurance bike. I would like to use it on longer distances. I made some research and Synapse should be what I am looking for.

I have found 2 offers, both $700

1. Cannondale CAAD8 with Tiagra, excellent condition
2. Cannondale Synapse with 105, good condition (I am not sure about production year here, the owner says it's 2016. Maybe you can help me with that)

Looks like 2013 Synapse and not original wheels but upgraded? Only the rear mech is 105 which is a shame, don't like Tekro rim brakes. Probably go CAAD8 as I had a Synapse and wasn't that impressed (early carbon one)

ColinJ

Out of interest, what is still 'original' parts from 20 years ago, and what did you upgrade when you replaced it, as opposed to buying the same again?

The bike was built up from parts to start with. A friend worked in a bike shop and they had a frame my size which they wanted to clear, so I got a discount on it. (I still paid £500 just for the frame/fork!)

The frame, fork, headset and titanium seatpost are original. Everything else has been upgraded (or replaced when worn out) over the years.

I don't have any choice about keeping that seatpost - I forget to put ant-corrosion grease on it and it has now bonded itself in place. I couldn't shift it even if I wanted to! :laugh:

T4tomo

Guru
I don't have any choice about keeping that seatpost - I forget to put ant-corrosion grease on it and it has now bonded itself in place. I couldn't shift it even if I wanted to! :laugh:

you've probably stopped growing by now, so hopefully not an issue:okay:

T4tomo

Guru
I only discovered the problem when I decided to try changing my saddle height by a few mm to see how it felt. Fortunately, the seatpost is stuck in a pretty usable position!

definitely a keeper as very difficult to sell, unless you find that person...

Although having said that, I did sell a bike to a mate who is fairly similar stature to me, I got my Allen key out expecting to have to adjust stuff, he had a quick ride up the road, declared it comfy and hasn't adjusted anything since!

ColinJ

definitely a keeper as very difficult to sell, unless you find that person...

Although having said that, I did sell a bike to a mate who is fairly similar stature to me, I got my Allen key out expecting to have to adjust stuff, he had a quick ride up the road, declared it comfy and hasn't adjusted anything since!

I know there is a seatpost guy who has a secret way of shifting stuck posts without destroying frames but I don't want to risk it for the sake of experimenting with saddle height.

Also, I can't see anybody wanting to pay much for a 20 year old Cannondale anyway. It cost me £2,000 to build but I would probably struggle to get £300 for it now, even if the post were not stuck!

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
I’m with @ColinJ on the endurance thing. I’ve a Caad10 and, until recently, a Synapse. Both set up the same. I really struggle to tell the difference between the two if I’m honest. In my opinion comfort, endurance - or whatever the want to call it - is more to do with stuff like tyres and the thickness of your handlebar tape. All the rest is mostly marketing bullshit. Choice the bike with the best colour scheme! 😀

Top Bottom