Cannondale Tandem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toddallgood

My Cannondale tandem is completely set up for a disc brake set up. The rear hub is a Shimano FH-HF08. The hub has threads on the left side. Is this to utilize a thread on adapter for a rotor? I can’t find any info on doing this. Sure would be nice.
572C5A38-6CF5-46FE-B04F-6FD117C0D3F7.jpeg
32CCF303-1406-4935-A1F0-364A1E12BC21.jpeg

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Hmmm, looks like nobody knows, so I'll hazard a guess that the threads would take a "normal" drum drag brake and I'll hazard a further guess that I'd be amazed if there isn't some way of fitting a disc rotor. I'd either email JD Tandems or ask at your local bike shop (and give them the business aswell, even if you fit yourself). Sorry I can't help further.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
My Cannondale tandem is completely set up for a disc brake set up. The rear hub is a Shimano FH-HF08. The hub has threads on the left side. Is this to utilize a thread on adapter for a rotor? I can’t find any info on doing this. Sure would be nice. View attachment 597790 View attachment 597791

The screw fitting on the hub is for a drum brake - we have on on ours. The original Arai ones which we have are no longer made, but alternatives are available.

I'd highly recommend one if you're in hilly terrain. They operate reliably *regardless* of heat (we tested this out on an 800m Alpine descent last summer - so hot the paint peeled off it, but no problem with the braking!

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brakes/karasawa-screw-on-tandem-drum-brake-replaces-arai/

The mounts on the frame, though, look to be for a disc caliper.

OP
OP
T

toddallgood

The screw fitting on the hub is for a drum brake - we have on on ours. The original Arai ones which we have are no longer made, but alternatives are available.

I'd highly recommend one if you're in hilly terrain. They operate reliably *regardless* of heat (we tested this out on an 800m Alpine descent last summer - so hot the paint peeled off it, but no problem with the braking!

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brakes/karasawa-screw-on-tandem-drum-brake-replaces-arai/

The mounts on the frame, though, look to be for a disc caliper.
Thanks for the info. Not really interested in a drag brake. We don’t do anything with any decents that big. Since the caliper mounts were there I thought some more braking power would be nice. This is the second tandem I’ve had with this setup. Thanks

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Thanks for the info. Not really interested in a drag brake. We don’t do anything with any decents that big. Since the caliper mounts were there I thought some more braking power would be nice. This is the second tandem I’ve had with this setup. Thanks

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure you'll need to replace the hub if you want to use discs.

Quick Google throws up this; doubtless other options available.

https://www.tandems.co.uk/m11b0s32p0/Hubs-Spokes-and-Skewers/Hubs

Top Bottom