Cannondale Topstone 2 (Alloy) Headset Compression Plug

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kingspirit

Hi All !

I need to do some works on the headset on my Cannondale Topstone alloy (2022) with a full carbon steerer tube but I cannot figure out what is the torque settings to apply to tighten the compression plug. Could not find anything about the correct torque settings in the manual and nothing says on a plug itself. I have contacted the shop where I have bought the bike (they are authorized Cannondale Dealer) and they said 8nm. But Im slightly concerned that 8nm might be to much and may overtighten. Is there are any Topstone alloy owners here to advice or what torque usually applied to the Compression Plugs for the carbon steerer tubes?
PXL_20230227_102909374.MP.jpg

Thanks a lot!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The mechanic at my LBS told me to just "Neck it" with the long end of the Allen key. As long as it holds when you torque down on the top cap it will be ok.

Ajax Bay

Guru
So "the (authorized Cannondale Dealer) shop where you bought the bike said 8Nm". And you think an answer from even an owner of the make/model of bike on CycleChat will have more assurance? Having said that, 8Nm does sound a lot so maybe they were answering a different question.
The correct torque is the amount needed to correctly ensure there is no play in the headset - and no more. Once the stem bolts are then tightened (?6Nm) the top cap torque is irrelevant.

View: https://youtu.be/_R9XwPMw2WA
Ollie has had several haircuts since making this video.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R
Top Bottom